1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HAD to share this!! **The Pet Cow**

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Bleenie, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

this is our "slow" heifer, Emma. we found her as a newborn on the hillside, no momma in sight. after checking udders we finally found her mommy... it was her first calf and she was scared out of her witts apparently [​IMG]

i think the trip carrying her up to the house form the field created a permanent attachment to people, she's the only one we can pet anymore! i think she's pregnant this year too!! it'll be her first!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    What breed is she, is she a Dexter?

3. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    What a cutie! All of my 4-H steers were trained like my horses so I could lunge them and ride them. Always made people turn and take a double take when I would ride them around [​IMG]

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They're a mix of dexter/hereford/angus. we've had cows for about 14years and that's what our beginning herd was made up of. we also have a couple brahma/angus mixed heifers that are nearly double the height of Emma. We just got a red-brindle-white-faced heifer last year out of the brahma mix heifer... shes a meaty little thing, lol. [​IMG]

5. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Too neat! I miss having cattle. Every spring we would raise a bunch of bottle babies and they would be so tame. Cattle are my favorite animal!

6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    She's a cutie [​IMG] We had a steer who was the same way. I bottle fed him until he was 4 months old because he was my baby [​IMG] Now I'm on the lookout for another one [​IMG]

7. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    awww, please tell me you won't eat her. i could never eat my pets.

8. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Well, she does look delicious. [​IMG]

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

LOL, we culd never eat her!

we've been trying to sell the cows because of bad flooding every winter here for the last few years.

We were looking into a "pioneer museum" type place for her, donating of course. they do birthdays and all sorts of cool stuff and she'd fit right in & be great with the kids.

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She's so pretty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by