had to take 6 birds to auction due to high food prices

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mama dixie, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I had to take 6 of my little ones to auction. they were all full grown birds 3 roo's and three hens. we just cant afford to feed that many over the winter [​IMG] I am going to list my little black on line because they just don't like little chickens at this auction.

just feeling kinda down about having to get rid of them. it was that or the freezer this way they have a chance. we may need to cull the flock more, the sad side of chickens I guess...

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry, but I sure understand! We need to downsize badly due to feed prices, but can't let anyone go right now. Even three hens we just knew were dying from reproductive issues after months of looking skeletally thin and not laying rallied and two are actually laying again. Eventually, they'll die off naturally, but yeah, the cost isn't helping us, especially with many molting and few laying.

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

eat the roos and save the hens. It will reduce your feed bill and half. Your still getting eggs which cost money at the store.

4. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Oh, that stinks. I know alot of people here think of their chickens as livestock,more than pets, and that is totally fine in my book, but mine are more pets, and I suck at having to get rid of any of them. Hopefully things will turn around with the feed prices, and you won't have to deal with that kind of situation again. I'm in the process of seeing if my girls "pay for themselves" through the money I get from egg sales. So far, they are doing ok, barely. Even with supplemental lights in their coops, my egg production has dropped, so not sure how long the chicken money will continue to grow.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I had to sell some this year, due to high feed prices, as well. My best broody went to a new home [​IMG] I know how you feel, it really stinks when you're attached to them.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    [​IMG]

7. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    You could also cut your feed bill down alot just on table scraps alone you would be amazed on how much the average person throws out that chickens would be more then happy to eat.

8. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Quote:I am sorry. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You know what we call "table scraps" here at my house? Tomorrow's lunch. Chickens don't get those.

To the OP, hope things look up for you soon. [​IMG]

10. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm so sorry! That must have been horrible. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by