Had to throw together a new mini coop last night! Pics added!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by midget_farms, May 27, 2010.

1. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I've got 30 birds. 5 of which are white crested black polish.

There are 4 old hens & the rest are 4 or 5 months old now. The old hens like to pick on the chicks but they have figured out to get out of the way & for the most part no one gets into any trouble.

Except the polish.

They are nearly blind & sit there looking at the ground & don't see the old hens coming until its too late.

So I finally decided to move them out.

I had some old scraps of plywood & cedar & a couple sheets of corrigated plastic for a roof. I built a 2x6 mini coop with a chicken wire floor for the polish & moved them into the garden. The garden is the only other place with a fence that I'm reasonably sure will keep out some preditors. We will see - in any case they have to be happier on their own in the garden vs getting pummeled in the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster 9 Years

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    That is great! They are probably really happy a relaxed now, with those full crests, it really leaves them open to attack. Good thing you had the supplies on hand, even if it meant a few extra hours of labor.

*sorry, I can't spell today.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I ran out of screws! The rest I had laying around - had to scrounge some chicken wire from here & there. But those screws were a pain to find!

Yup - they should be good for the summer - not sure this coop will work in the winter - too open - but I'll deal with that when I get to it.

4. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    You should post a pic of your coop.

I am building a coop myself at the moment and my fear is running out of screws, but if I'm not worried about something, I'm not happy. [​IMG] I was looking at my bucket of screws last night as I was packing my supplies to quit for the night, and I am getting worried there won't be enough. When you live out of town, it is a pain in the but to make a trip into town. I have lots of nails in the shop, but I hate using them.

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I'll try to get some pics tonight - but we are going to a baseball game so I may not get them loaded up.

6. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    That is a great looking coop for having to throw it together in one night. Thanks for the pics.

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It's a great little coop, especially considering that you threw it together with what you had on hand. But. . . I am going to mention that it would be better with hardware cloth in place of the chicken wire. Coons especially can just tear chicken wire apart, and I'm sure you don't want to lose any of your birds. Just a thought. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: