Had to trap two muskrats.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicken_angler, Apr 7, 2009.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Well about a week or two ago we trapped one muskrat and then another one this morning!

They are nasty looking and are destroying our banks of our pond. I think we have them all becasue we have only seen two but you never know. I am using a 4 muskrat trap that I got at a garage sale in the summer for $1! Lol.

Thanks!

Cody!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I think it would be legal but you need to check with your states hunting and trapping laws.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Most states allow you to trap out of season if they are causing a problem on your own land. But unless you know this for sure, might not be good to be advertising trapping them now.

4. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there still a market for muskrat pelts? Not around here.

5. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I wasnt trying to advertise anything. I am sorry. We had to get rid of them because they were causing many problems to our pond.

Cody!!

6. das fisch

das fisch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    southern Maine
    definitely check your local laws. Most states will allow taking of nuisance animals out of season, some require a permit from the local warden.
    I'm currently waiting on a bid approval from a condo association as they have muskrats moving in from another retention pond and undermining the banks. the groundskeepers won't go near the pond out of a liability risk of toppling into the water.

7. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    These muskrats were damaging our banks causing them to topple in which causes a big problem when we walk around the pond or when we cut grass. They also damaged our fish population.

I am glad to see that a Blue Heron has showed up recently. It is flying into our pond everyday and it is such a big and beautiful bird!

Thanks everyone!

Cody!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by