1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Had To Upgrade Already

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nxb161, Mar 15, 2013.

1. nxb161

nxb161 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    I started out with a cardboard box, but after a day I updated to a storage tub I had laying around the house. Then a week and a half later I realize these chicks are a lot more active than a imagined (this is my first time w/ chickens)
    I added a second tub, and a breezeway inbetween them. Also had to build a second screen to cover them. As soon as I take the cover off one of them flies to the top to hang out. I only got them on the 6th, can't wait until they can go outside!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Good for you. IMO, they need space. Also, they should be able to get away from the heat if they choose. Note the chicks in the far corner. Here's what I consider minimal:

up to 2 weeks: 0.5 sq ft per chick
    2-4 weeks: 1 sq ft per chick
    4-8 weeks: 2.5 sq ft per chick
    over 8: 4 sq ft per chick

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. nxb161

nxb161 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    I took some measurements and right now I'm at 1.5sq ft per chick. I have a few weeks before I need to add another addition. After that I should be good to move them into their outside home. I like that they can go from one area to "get away" from the other chicks if I give them a treat. Silly buggers have the habit of stealing from each other's beaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by