Had to whack him upside the head!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl4513, Feb 6, 2008.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I thought things were going good being down to just one roo. But Big Boy attacked me today. I had to kick him off of me. Then I went in the house and came back with fresh water, this time I was armed with a tobacco stick. And sure enough... here he came. I didn't want to hit him too hard but hard enough to make an impression. Well it wasn't working so I had to haul off and knock him in the head. Then he finally backed off. I guess I rattled his marbles enough for him to realize I meant business! I hate unruley roo's. I was so hoping he wouldn't get aggressive. But I think I've figured out why he did it today. Buffy my Cochin forgets how to get off the perch for some reason. She was in the coop hollering for someone to pay heed to her. And I think me being so close to the coop and her carrying on was what got Big so aggressive. I'm not sure. But it makes sense, doesn't it?

edited to add: It (the whacking) sounds worse than it really was, just don't want anyone to think that I abuse my roo.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My little roo is generally well behaved - UNTIL we give attention to any of the hens, then he loses it.
    Even if we're just feeding treats - apparently we're NOT supposed to go near the hens.

I've never hit him or anything, I've stuck out a boot and then caught him and picked him up, tried to make him feel a little silly and knock him down the ranking a little.

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I have one roo. Henry the leghorn and he has his 4 girls. He's gotten more aggressive by the day. Wasn't that way with me but is now. Was using a fly swatter to calm him down but that quit working so now I'm using one of those dusters with the lamb wool on the end and also I catch him and carry him around with me. That seems to calm him for awhile. I also keep a big box nearby and when he gets out of control I just put the box over him and leave him awhile. He behaves then for a couple of days. He does NOT like that box!!!! [​IMG]

Jacie

4. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    How in the world do you catch him? I'm too busy trying to protect myself from him. Big Boy is a standard buff cochin. He is a very big fellow.But the box is a good idea, may have to try that, when he's not flogging the crap out of me.

5. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    To catch him I just catch him off guard when he's on a post and grab him before he knows it. He's not the brightest bulb in the box!! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have to get my roo into a corner to catch him, and he does slip out of my reach sometimes.

Actually some days even the attempt to catch him will keep him away from me, he knows what I'm trying to do!

7. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    LOL, I love it. Problem is you can't catch Big...until bed that is, and by that time I'm sure he wouldn't know why I was putting him in time out.
    The thing is...I can't go without a roo...got to have fertile eggs and a protector for my gals. So, Big is gonna have to learn his place.

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Our roo doesn't like us collecting eggs when they're in the body of the tractor rather than the nesting area. He also doesn't like us to feed the girls treats. And he ESPECIALLY doesn't like DH since one of the BO's think DH is swell.

When he's attacking me he's very single-minded and I can usually back him into a corner to catch him, or just pounce if he's really focused on my shoes (he hates boots, too). Then I carry him around by the feet for a while. He's usually good after that.

If my daughter is around, I catch him and hand him to her so she can hug and love on him. He's REALLY good after that (the sound of her voice makes him shiver lol). She's really sweet, and not hugging hard or anything. But she baby talks him and tells him how pretty he is and doesn't want to let him go even when it's time to.
    Maybe you should borrow my 12-year old to tame your roo, countrygirl! [​IMG]

9. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Lawd knows I need it. Help that is... My son caught him the other day to make him submit to him after Big went after my son. But I really think it was all the taking on that Buffy was doing. She is so stupid...or should I say it's like she's "chicken" to jump off the roost. She would rather sit up there for hours hollering.

10. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    I'm sorry your having trouble with Big. Whatever you do DO NOT run or back away. That will tell him he is dominant.

Hanging him upside down for bit should work. A whack on the head is not a bad idea either. You are not abusing him, your putting him in his place.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by