Haha! Im so excited that I just cant hide it!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovin my birds, May 15, 2011.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    So I bought a Khaki Campbell hen about a month and a half ago. She is a year old and she was laying. I know it takes a while for them to start laying again. BUt you know I thought it would be a few days maybe two weeks. But nothing, then I was affraid that she was egg bound. Nope! So I left her alone and today I checked the coop. Guess what! I finally got an egg!!!! YAY! [​IMG] Im so excited! I have never had a duck egg before and am very excited to try it. [​IMG]

2. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:OMG! Duck eggs are awesome! no diff. in taste than a chicken but they are bigger. which is the reason I just got my Khaki Campbell, she is 2wks old so I have to wait a little bit for her to start laying but when I get my first egg from her I am goin to jumpin out of my skin with excitement! The reason I got a Khaki is cause they can lay up to 300 eggs a yr. WOW! U might know that fact, but it still impresses Me.
    Here is a pic. of my lil girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is her diving in my Pekin's water bucket. lol
    Tina

3. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Awe she is adorable! I love khaki campbells. And yes I did know about their laying ability but it is always great to here it. It excites me everytime someone tells me. I dont have any pictures uploaded to my computer yet of my hen. But will get some asap! I love my hen she is very sweet and beautiful! You will definately enjoy your little baby! I cant wait till my other girls are old enough to lay. It will be a little while. They are only 4 -5 months old. [​IMG]

4. DuckDuckDuckGoose

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:Thank you! Do you know how old they have to be when they start laying? {{just wonderin}}
    I hope to see some pics of your hen sometime soon. Looking forward to it:D

5. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I have heard it is about 6 months old, same as chickens. And I found this to be true today. I found one of my 6 month old hens (ancona) laying an egg when i went out to clean the pond and coop. I was so excited! And since khakis are such great layers then I would expect them to lay at 6 months just like my ancona. But it all depends on the duck. My other 6 month old ancona isnt laying yet but I am not expecting much. LOL! I am just hoping that someone will start nesting since they are starting to lay and I know my two males have been mounting them, though my rouen is only 5 months. I want some babys from this mixed group. But i dont want to have to incubate. Anyway! Its a good day! [​IMG]

6. DuckDuckDuckGoose

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:Thank you for letting me know the answer to my question on my Khaki laying. 6mo! wow thats young. Im looking forward to that! Im glad you got a egg today! Its always a good day when that happens:)
    Thanks again,
    T.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by