Hailing from North Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SlowBro, Oct 25, 2016.

1. SlowBro

SlowBro Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Howdy! How y'all doin'?

My username is a slow Pokémon because I'm stuck with chronic fatigue which makes everything in life slowwwww and difficult. And a Pokémon because my autistic daughter loves the show [​IMG]

My wife's mother is currently raising 28 chooks; about 5 of those are roosters. She's been doing this for years and we hope to move to her house and help her out some day. She lives too far away to really help now but we buy the feed.

My wife bought some Golden Wyandottes and those are my favorite variety but she's got several kinds. Trying to raise them organic or close to it. Those kitchen scraps go a lonnnnng way to feeding the yard birds; they're about to reach egg laying stage and we only had to buy 8lbs of feed per bird. We're rejoicing because we found a local farmer who uses organic practice on his grains without the certification so it's very inexpensive. 50lb for $12. [​IMG]

After we bugged out for the hurricane I thought wouldn't it be nice to have an automatic coop door opener. They're expensive! I got to researching and DIY isn't very hard or expensive so we're going to try that. I joined here for ideas on that and anything else.

They're in a rickety coop and run so I've been brainstorming a super lightweight A frame run that's detachable from the coop and can be dragged across the yard. Anchor to the ground with water in the frame and/or ground staples. Then move and mate the very small coop on wheels to the run. Three birds per coop+run so we'd need several.

We're going for egg production but I'm asking to do the slaughtering when it's time. Though I am not looking forward to it I know it'll be good for me so I'm willing to do it. This city boy can learn.

What projects are you up to?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a great intro! I hope all your plans and projects go really well for you. No major projects going on here for me right now just the usual jobs in preparation for winter.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. SlowBro

SlowBro Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Howdy Yorkshire. Have you ever written down a list of lessons learned, things you wished someone told you?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, SlowBro, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Very inspiring how you have chickens despite your chronic fatigue. Indeed, people join BYC to learn - that is the primary function. Every aspect of chicken keeping is covered in depth on BYC! We are glad you are here to learn with us!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  6. SlowBro

SlowBro Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Well to be honest the wife and mother-in-law have done 98% of everything. While tired, my mind can spin. I've been building the auto coop door in my head and if the design is good I may even sell it some day. Wifi connected, solar powered, redundant for failures, monitored so you can take a vacation... at less cost than most everything sold today.
    [​IMG]

7. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice to meet you :) Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to BYC! Heh, if you develop such a door, let me know when it is up for sale! I have some Golden Laced Wyandottes myself! Î also have the Silver variety. Thanks for joining us!

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

A word of advice, be careful with table scraps. They should not at any time exceed 10% of the diet. Modern laying hens require a very specific nutrtional balance, and many owners unintentionally throw this off by overfeeding other foodstuffs. When that balance is thrown off, you are very likely to see issues such as obesity, lack of musculature, reproductive issues, and poor egg production.

1 person likes this.
  10. SlowBro

SlowBro Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Thanks, I'll relay that to my wife.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by