hair straightener heating element?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jmpeters, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Jmpeters

Jmpeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2012
    central il
    Getting ready to start a new incubator. And I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the ceramic heating elements out of a hair straightener for a heating element?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Those get really hot. My straighter heats to 410*. It probably will get too hot

3. Jmpeters

Aug 6, 2012
    central il
    Even with a thermostat?

4. saellis

saellis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    FEMA Region VIII
    My Coop
    For safety sake and a good hatch you should probably invest in a real incubator.

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Or use a light bulb like the old incubators had.

6. Jmpeters

Aug 6, 2012
    central il
    I want to hatch out my duck eggs and I only get 1 a day. So I want to make a 2 compartment incubator so I can put an egg a day into it then move to the next compartment when its ready for lockdown. And make the lockdown compartment with a full view window with a little door to put in eggs and remove ducklings with as little humidity loss as possible. I like tinkering with stuff and im looking for winter projects. And was curious if anyone has tried it. Think ill just try putting one in an old cooler and see how it does for a bit b4 I put it in the cabinet bator im building.

7. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    If you use a cooler, don't forget to supply air holes.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If you are using your own eggs you can collect up to 10 days then set. I still get 100% hatch on my own eggs.

9. buckbye

buckbye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    NWCT
    Considering what I've paid for a decent straightener ($50-$200), I'd just buy an incubator. (The smaller, "travel" ones used for styling bangs would be much cheaper though.) The fact that they get *really* hot would worry me. Mine have typically gone up to 450F, and I've got years of burn scars to prove it, YEOW!!!! Some of them are designed to eventually power off for safety reasons. And when they die, they die. Usually suddenly.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  10. Daedalus62

Daedalus62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Portugal
    My Coop
    Hi Jmpeters,

If you like to tinker...

I had good results with the heating element from a cheap aquarium heater... It doesn't get as hot as the hair straightener element and it's much much cheaper.... I got mine for about 3 euros (4 dollars) from the dime(?) store.

I bought a 50W one (depending on the size of your bator, you have lower and/or higher wattage's available), dismantled it and took out the heating element.

Depending on your setup... You can either use it as is (nichrome wire coil in is ceramic support), or use just the nichrome wire coil and mount it in your bator as you like...

Oh... And, if needed, there's also a thermostat inside there... Not as precise as an electronic thermostat (for example), but it keeps the temperature range OK.

Hope this helps... From a tinkerer to another [​IMG]

Regards

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by