Hair wrapped around toe! Help! *UPDATE* She is doing good!

ReeseTheChick

Songster
8 Years
May 10, 2011
My baby chick has a hair wrapped around her toe and I can't get it off! what do i do?? Please help me out.0

Last edited:
It's tight. I dont know how she got hair wrapped around it but it's nit bothering her. I would like to get it off but can't. What happens if I leave it?

Could you put a dab of hair dipilatory on the hair then hold her (so she can't ingest it) 10 min until the hair gets soft then thoroughly rinse her off?

Get a pair of MANICURE scissors with the very fine, curved blade. That hair HAS to come off or it will cut off the circulation and KILL the toe. Yes, a chicken can live with a missing toe, but the process of the circulation and tissue death would be painful. Get it off ASAP. It may still lose the toe, but the sooner you get it off, the better the chances of your chicken's keeping its toe and minimal risk of dying from infection or gangrene. If you can't see it well enough to do it, go to a vet and ask them to snip it out for you.

It's that stuck guys. I can't get it off and I don't know what to do! :'( what would you guys do? We don't have any. Vets that will deal with chickens because "chickens are farm animals you can just buy another one"

Sharp pointed scissors or even the tip of a knife. I'd think the possibility of it loosing a toe would over-ride the fear of nicking it. At least it does to me.

Back
Top Bottom