1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hair wrapped around toe! Help! *UPDATE* She is doing good!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ReeseTheChick, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ReeseTheChick

ReeseTheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    My baby chick has a hair wrapped around her toe and I can't get it off! what do i do?? Please help me out.0

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    depending on how tight it is, can you use fingernail clippers to snip it?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Or maybe take a needle of pin and try to slip it between bird and hair. Just be careful.

4. ReeseTheChick

May 10, 2011
    It's tight. I dont know how she got hair wrapped around it but it's nit bothering her. I would like to get it off but can't. What happens if I leave it?

5. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    It needs to come off. Depending on how tight it is, it could cut of circulation.

6. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Could you put a dab of hair dipilatory on the hair then hold her (so she can't ingest it) 10 min until the hair gets soft then thoroughly rinse her off?

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Get a pair of MANICURE scissors with the very fine, curved blade. That hair HAS to come off or it will cut off the circulation and KILL the toe. Yes, a chicken can live with a missing toe, but the process of the circulation and tissue death would be painful. Get it off ASAP. It may still lose the toe, but the sooner you get it off, the better the chances of your chicken's keeping its toe and minimal risk of dying from infection or gangrene. If you can't see it well enough to do it, go to a vet and ask them to snip it out for you.

8. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Quote:x2

9. ReeseTheChick

May 10, 2011
    It's that stuck guys. I can't get it off and I don't know what to do! :'( what would you guys do? We don't have any. Vets that will deal with chickens because "chickens are farm animals you can just buy another one"

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Sharp pointed scissors or even the tip of a knife. I'd think the possibility of it loosing a toe would over-ride the fear of nicking it. At least it does to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by