Hairclub for Hens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NellaBean, Jul 6, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I think I need to start a hairclub for hens. I can put saddles on but what the heck do you do about bald heads? I have one rooster who is obsessed with pecking at their heads if he doesn't get the deed done right. Apparently he wants to be a hairstylist when he grows up.

Stupid roosters. Anyone else have a hairclub for hens pen? I have started adding the baldies to one of my baby growout pens.

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Poor girls. I would worry that the rooster might one day crack their little skulls. Perhaps he should be shown "The Door". (and don't let the screen hit his fanny on the way out)

3. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I think he is going to get his own pen and weekly conjugal visits. He is great quality and hilarious...just a bit fiesty.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The cochins are the worst! 75% of my cochin hens have "roo patterned baldness" [​IMG] They & the orps get the naked backs the most too- but I think that's because of their soft feathering. Or maybe just because they're easy! [​IMG] Poor girls!

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Your flock sounds like mine. I was starting to picture little sunbonnets to match the chicken saddles!

6. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    We made 6 bantam saddles this weekend. I need about 6 more....I wonder if I put something gross on their head if it would stop. I think it is just the one roo doing most of the head damage.

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Maybe we should invent little bits and bridles for the hens... the rooster could hold the reins as he "mounts up". (Sorry, I'm on my first cup of coffee and getting silly.)
    I've wondered the same thing about putting something gooey on their heads. Someone posted about a feather picking remedy made from Vicks Vaporub and grape-flavored drink mix. It's just so hot, I keep picturing it melting down over the hen's head and getting in her eyes.

8. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Maybe a little bonnet with SPIKES sticking off the back? LOL

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    If your hens have bald heads ... make them bonnets!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

If your hens have bald heads ... make them bonnets!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah. Cuz my family doesn't quite think I'm crazy enough. LOL.

"Why's Mom chasing the chickens around?"

"She's trying to put their bonnets on." [​IMG]

Hmmm. Wonder if I could make helmets for my quail?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by