Hairdryer to rewarm?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PaintedPony, Jan 3, 2010.

1. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Has anyone tried using a hairdryer to bring their incubator temps back up after candling, turing eggs, or opening the bator for other reasons? I decided to try it on the eggs I set Dec 19th. I put the hairdryer on medium heat and aim it at one of the windows I've opened. It works great for reducing humidity, reheating or just bringing temps back up. I am also using it in the still air bator I have (will be installing a fan after this hatch). I open one of the vent holes and put the hairdryer near it to circulate the air. So far, with four different therms measuring temps in varous area the temos have stayed very stable throughout the bator. I'm using two LGs in my experiment.

2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

To be honest, I'd be nervous that the direct heat would hit the eggs and fry them.

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I don't think the hairdryer would fry the eggs... but I might be worried about melting the foam bator!

4. AngieChick

I thought I remembered a thread with a bad hairdryer experience https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=160243 although the hairdryer was pointed at the eggs for at least 5 minutes (on cool).

Incubators reheat pretty quickly, usually the egg doesn't even have time to really cool down internally. Remember that a broody hen will leave the eggs at least once a day (except during hatch) to eat, drink, poo a nasty broody poo [​IMG] and take a dirt bath. They can handle cooling down here and there for a few minutes, so letting the incubator heat back up naturally is really fine. Except during days 18-21 lockdown.

5. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm not using the hairdryer for 5 minutes! Goodness, it's more like 10-15 seconds on warm. I'm just trying it as an experiment to help control humidity, keep temps stable, and circulate air in the still air until I get the fan in it. I wondered if anyone else had tried it before me.

6. AngieChick

Oh good! Thanks for clarifying.

I just remembered dimly that other post about hairdryers and had an immediate hairdryer+egg=very bad association.

7. k_long

k_long Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Point Harbor N.C.
    I wouldn't try it. Tried a couple days ago had to add extra duct tape to styrofoam. Only did it for a second temp really shot up just be patient

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by