hairline crack and odd spot, to set or not

AinaWGSD

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Sullivan, IL
I'm so excited! I just got my hatching eggs this afternoon from the mailman. They were well packed, but when candling I did notice that one had a tiny crack in the shell. After knowing it was there, I could see it, although not well, in regular room lighting. I have marked the egg so that I remember which one it is when the eggs are done settling and I go to set them. Has anyone ever had any luck hatching an egg with a small crack? My gut says to just pull this one out and throw it in with the eating eggs, but it seems like such a shame.

Also, one of the other eggs had a small dark spot near the yolk when I candled. I'm guessing this is something like a "meat spot" that sometimes happens in eggs. My question is whether or not this would affect fertility/hatchability of the egg?

mnferalkitty

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Minnesota
Never set an egg with a crack they can explode in the bator and ruin all your other eggs I would not chance it. I would however set the one with the spot and mark it with a pencil so you remember which one it is and when you candle it again after being in bator look extra hard to make sure it is developing ok

AinaWGSD

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Sullivan, IL
Thanks, that's pretty much where I was headed with the cracked egg anyway. Like I said, it seems like a shame to eat a hatching egg, but I know that shipped eggs often struggle to develop in the first place and cracked eggs are risky even if they aren't shipped so I figured the combination wasn't good.

madamwlf

Nevermore Acres
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Mount Airy, MD
I've set eggs with cracks and have had them hatch fine. If the membrane is intact give it a shot but keep an eye on it. It's it starts to weep or leak take it out.

Top Bottom