hairline crack

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heartbreakdiet, Feb 25, 2013.

1. heartbreakdiet

heartbreakdiet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    North Stonington, CT
    I just received my first hatching eggs in the mail. 6 polish frizzles. One of the eggs appears to have a thin hairline crack in the egg. Should I even put it in the incubator? Or do I cull it now? I'm assuming this egg is a loss but I just want to be sure!

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s often not a clear-cut decision. To me there are two separate risks to that egg.

That could be an avenue for bacteria to enter the egg. It could cause the egg to lose more moisture than it needs to, maybe already but more during incubation.

The safest thing to do is to toss it. If it is an expensive or special egg to you, I’d be tempted to take some wax and cover that area and try it. Don’t cover the whole egg in wax, just that area.

Then sniff it often. If you ever get a whiff of rotten egg smell, get rid of it. Life can often be pretty darn stubborn. Yes, there is a risk in that egg but I don’t think it’s totally hopeless.

1 person likes this.
  3. heartbreakdiet

heartbreakdiet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    North Stonington, CT
    Thank you. I did go ahead and put it in but I think I'll end up second guessing myself and removing it. It's my first hatch so I probably don't need to make it harder on myself than need be :)

4. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Just keep it and keep sniffing it . That's what I would do. You could have a baby chick if you at least tried to keep it! Just my opinion! :) good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by