1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Half a chick Silkied??? Silkied AM x polish

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Squishy, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Hi everyone! :D Been a long time!
    So, we have this really funny chick!
    Background - we had a Gold lace polish roo for a while... decided to hatch some of the eggs, and this is one of the chicks that came out! There's also a younger chick that looks like it's going this way too. This chick started off with smooth back feathers and what looked like extra fluffy down... then just recently some of the feathers are looking silkied!
    Some of the feathers are smooth. Is there such a thing as a bird presenting half silkied feathers and half smooth?

The mother bird is a Splash Silkied Americauna (reference thread: "whats wrong with their feathers?") ... she is 100% silkied, from two silkied parents.
    From my distant memory of old threads, I thought she wouldn't have any silkied chicks with a smooth feathered roo? I thought she'd have to breed to a split to get silkied chicks. Is that right?

Chickie here sure has us confused!!! Thanks a bunch for any light shed on the situation :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

3. Squishy