1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

half- brother / half sister breeding plan will it work?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minister man, Sep 12, 2010.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    I found this breeding plan, that they call the "Half Brother/ Half sister breeding plan". I found it on a site that is about mice, but they said that they found it on a site about pigeons. I am wondering if it would work for breeding bantams. I am wondering how many years it would work be fore new blood was needed? or maybe a person should use this plan with two or three groups and then cross the groups once in a while.

They have a nice little picture, but I can't paste it here, so I will try to describe it. ( the picture is at this link http://sites.google.com/site/icedmicerodentry/our-practice/line-breeding)

The first year one starts with one male and two females. Each female penned seperately, and the male moved back and forth between them. Hatch off of each hen. From one hen keep 2 females, the other hen keep a new male. Then it just keeps going. 2 females, 1 male, one female supplies next years females and the other next years males.

So I am thinking of starting the same as it is written, and then keeping two pens.

From the second year on, keep 2 pens of 4-5 females each, and a male and a spare form each one. From then on, one pen is the male line, and supplies a male for each pen, ( instead of using the same male on both pens) and the other pen supplies all the females for both pens.

Anyone ever tried anything like that? Does anyone know if the pigeon books really discribe such a plan?

thanks for your help,

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    no opions out there?[​IMG]

3. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    Search line breeding. this sounds like a 2 pen version of line breeding. You should find a version with four pen which will privide a little more genetic seperation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by