Half closed eye, swollen around eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juliawitt, Jul 28, 2010.

1. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I let my 1 year old Dominiques free range for 30-40 minutes a day, while I watch them. I noticed today, one of my hens had a half closed eye. Her eyes are surrounded by red skin, and it is swollen. She was eating and drinking and didn't act like she was in pain, she just acted like she couldn't see well out of that eye. I am wondering if she got pecked or could have something in her eye? The area around her eye feels warm. I am going to try to rinse her eye with saline and isolate her. What diseases should I be concerned with? All my chickens are lively, eating well, poops looks a little looser, but I have been giving fruit----So I think all is well with the stool. No coughing or sneezing. No lethargy or depression. I have been holding fresh corn cobs and they have been voraciously pecking it. I have worried that they may hurt one another in the frenzy. Any thoughts? Should I give antibiotic? Wait it out??

2. juliawitt

Aug 9, 2009
    Neosporin in the eye after washing out with saline??? Any ideas???

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Maybe something happened where her eye basically just got poked (pecked, jabbed by a branch) or maybe a sting or bug bite. It sounds like what you are doing is a good idea. I think the rinsing with saline is a real good idea.

4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    are you sure that she does not have pox?

5. juliawitt

Aug 9, 2009
    Well, I don't think so....she has no lesions, no bad poop, she is eating, drinking, not acting lethargic, not depressed, no respiratory symptoms. Just a swollen eye and all around her eye. I really think it is an infection. I have emailed an optometrist to see if I can use an antibiotic eye drop that I never opened. It is Moxifloxacin 0.5%---a broad spectrum, so if it is safe for her, it should take care of what ails her......I will up date when I hear.

6. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Sound like what one of my girls has. I just notice it now when I went to put them away for the night. Did yours clear up? what did you do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by