Half completed coop - finish or start over?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MarieNC, May 21, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    The people who lived here previously had evidently started to build a chicken coop but gave up about halfway. We have 6 babies who are 3 weeks old and will need a coop soon. My question is does this look like something that SHOULD be finished or should we trash it and start over? The floor and studs on the side look to be fairly sturdy. Not crazy about the plywood sides - they seem a little thin to me. I know the outside run should be reinforced with hardware wire but what other things should I take into consideration when figuring this out? This is my first experience raising chickens. The coop looks to be about 8 by 5 and pretty tall. The picture with the Lab should give you some size perspective. My husband has a fractured wrist, so if we could just expand upon this one, that would be great. But whatever is best for the girls.....Hope these pictures work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cogorman

cogorman In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    MidMissouri
    Looks to me like you have plenty to work with there. How about a good tweek job on what's there?

3. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    I'm all for tweaking it! Any suggestions of what I should do? I know for one it will need windows. And they did have a three chicken nest box but it looks pretty rotted to me. No idea how long ago they took this project on but it was pretty overgrown with weeds when we moved in this past January.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  4. mdbokc

mdbokc Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Yep, I'd finish it too. Unless it is not at all what you want for a design.

Floor to attach....hardcloth wire for the vents above the wall top caps.....roofing sheeting of your choice.

5. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I would go with it and simply complete it. Looks like the guy knew what he was doing. If the siding is rotting you might want to replace that or cover it with tin or outside plywood. I would deffinately add ventiliation. Good Luck and be sure to keep us posted on your progress. Look at all the coops on this site and you'll learn all you need to know.

6. Hozer

Hozer Songster

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    How much room do you have? Personally, I would finish that one off and plan the next one. It's like you need to have one to find out what you do and don't want in the next one. Plus, chickens grow fast and you will need that coop a lot sooner than you realize. Like most folks, I bought my chickens and then hustled up a coop.

Also, it would be a good idea to lay apx. 2 feet of wire on the ground at the edge of the run to keep dogs out if it doesn't already have it.

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Crowing 11 Years

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I would strip that old plywood off. Looks like it has gotten wet alot and will most likely set mold if left when finished. Mold in a chicken coop can lead to upper respiratory infections for the birds.

The framing looks good and I would start there and finish it. By starting without the plywood it will be easier to add windows and doors.

Matt

8. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    definately something to work with!!

9. Hozer

Hozer Songster

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    Quote:The best suggestion I got from a friend that alredy had chickens is to have a coop set up so you don't have to step in chicken manure every time you want to collect eggs. This is especially important if you have a spouse that is not completely on board. That means an outside door to the nest box. You can also set it up so you can feed and water without going into the coop.

10. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That is a great start--- I would def. keep it. Just tweak it and make it work around your ideas. You could always insulate the walls if you think the plywood is too thin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: