half-drowned chicken!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdopler, Nov 10, 2011.

1. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    when i got home she was floating in our heated 16 gal water bucket, barely breathing and empty crop, I rushed her in the house into a warm towel and warmed her with a blow dryer. it took almost an hour before she was responsive, I was almost thinking chicken soup.
    After an hour and a half she was starting to move more and began to eat a bowl of grits with garlic and scratch and a raw egg on top. She has water with nutri-drench and a little acv. things seem stable now, but my question is..
    how long should I keep her away from rest of flock to recover strength. I am concerned about putting her back out with freezing temps at night not knowing how exhausted she was from trying to "swim" all day.
    Also, what are the chances of pneumonia or lung/respiratory issues from swallowing water or having it in her lungs?
    I am so glad I was able to save her, she's one of my "buckeye girls" who until today didn't have names. Now she is Mira, the miracle chicken..

2. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    I would keep her inside for a few days, enough time to observe her and make sure she is back to normal.

3. jdopler

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    how hard will it be to re-acclimate her to the cold after a couple days in the house? I don't keep it real warm only 65 except before bed and before we get up in mornings its about 70 but outside is highs of 40 to50 and nights around freezing.

4. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Quote:Chickens have a lot of down that keeps them warm, as long as its only a few days inside she should be fine when she gets back outside.

5. jdopler

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    [​IMG] unfortunately for Mira.. she is in a heavy molt! all pinfeathers and litle down at all. hopefullly the weather will give us a break for her sake!
    Anyone have advice on potential respiratory issues? I plan on giving her plenty of garlic to boost immune system, and she's about a year and half old and has been very healthy, I just don't wnt to risk losing her to side effects of her "near death experience"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by