Half-Guinea, Half-Chicken...Our Australorp Rooster has a Guinea Fetish.

littledirtlanefarms

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Eastern NC
I don't post on here much. I sold my entire flock of silkies last year and only kept a few guinea one Australorp Rooster (free range) and 5 leghorn hens. I have my leghorns in a tractor, and my Australorp only gets to flirt with them through the wire. I guess he got tired of being single, because when our white guinea hen's eggs hatched, the baby was a spitting image of our rooster. (Not to mention we lost all of our guinea except for our one white hen, who is respectfully known as Elizabeth.) So born into the family is one messed up bird. It seems to act a bit more like a chicken, but it's head it very "guineaish". Boy it is ugly. It was an adorable chick though.

We didn't want the baby to be by itself, so we brought in another guinea chick...well, not a good idea. The mother guinea tried to kill it...(she has turned on her own kind, lol). So Henry (the rooster) adopted it...he is the best little mother. LOL. He is so cute going around the yard with his "adoptee". He has been a great protector and has faced off with hawks a few times. He has learned to come and get me if there is a real problem...this is one smart bird...I love my rooster.

Here are some pictures of my weirdo chicken family for those that like the oddities of life!

There were 2 - we lost one :(

Here is the little squirt a bit more "mature"...

Here is what it looks like now...not sure of the sex yet, but I am sure that we will know soon...I am thinking a male right now.

Above is the happy family - lol....the bi-species family portrait!

If it is a boy we should name him Charles, but call him "Dick". LOL. What do you think?

That's all for now! Ta-ta from NC :)

Jess

i think thats awesome ! i have guineas and chickens and was kind of hoping that would happen so i could see them. thank you for sharing. the only one i have seen a pic of was a deformed guinhen with 4 wings

Your welcome! The two chicks that she had were both in very good health (I think a hawk got one). We have a terrible hawk issue. I have seen a few online, but as far as I know they are very rare and if they do breed it is rare for them to live past a few weeks. We think it is great and have enjoyed watching their little odd family!

Back
Top Bottom