Half hatched- blood- breathing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goatmama123, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Goatmama123

Goatmama123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    I went in to check on my broody mama this evening and saw 3 of our new chicks walking around on top of what looked like an empty egg shell when I got closer looking for the new arrive I saw blood and realized the chick was still inside. I figured the chick was dead due to the amount of blood and the chicks climbing on it but when i carefully pulled back debris I realized it slowly but surely breathing. I plugged in my incubator and brought it in, breathing and movement has increase. There is quite a bit of yoke and it looks like the umbilical cord is still attached.

What should I do temp and humidity wise at this stage? [​IMG]

I took a pic to see what you guys think...

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    A vein must have been torn. Did you get the bleeding to stop? Good job on getting the incubator up & running. I would keep temps around 99 and humidity, well...I would say 40-50%. It does not need a lot of humidity for hatching because the shell & membrane are basically gone. I would keep the chick in a cup inside the incubator. You want to inhibit any movement so the yolk absorbs and the umbilicus dries and detaches. You don't want to rupture the yolk. Please updat when you can!! :fl

3. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Also, if the chick pulls through, do you have any sav-a-chick or nutridrench on hand?

4. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    I will for sure keep updated. The other half of the egg is kind of a bowl around it right now, its holding the yoke in nicely for now.

I have nutridrench- the brown goopy stuff for my goats- same for chickens?

5. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    The blood is still a bright red. there is no more than before though.

6. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Please do! I saw that the chick was still kinda in the egg. But if the chick does start getting active before the yolk is absorbed then just try to keep it immobile. It's amazing what some chicks go through! Yes, the nutridrench is the brown, goopy, smelly stuff. I'm not sure if there is a different one for goats. I just checked my bottle and it says "poultry" nutridrench. I would give the chick a drop or 2 if it pulls through this. I'm routing for your little one!!

7. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    chick died [​IMG]

8. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Oh no! You did what you could to try and save it! Lots of :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by