half hatched

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daddyssteeler, Sep 13, 2008.

1. daddyssteeler

daddyssteeler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    we found one of our chicks with just its nose out of the crack it had made and it looked really cramped was it to big for the egg? or where there more problems?

2. daddyssteeler

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    could this be from lack of turning?

3. daddyssteeler

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    any suggeations

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

it will hatch.. dont touch it.. if it dosent make any progress within the next day or so. then help it out.. it if its strong enough to live it will hatch.. if its too weak then it wont hatch.. kinda like natural selection? idk. but just let it be. if its not ready it wont come out all the way. the chick is spose to be bigger than the egg.. its actually folded in half. and its spose to be cramped. if its made it this far im sure ur turning was fine

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They can take awhile to hatch but if they don't make any progress in more than 24hrs especially if they've fully zipped I usually help them out a little. I had to help some out before because they truly were too big for the eggs. The person sent me all pullet eggs which were about half the size of the other eggs I got from the same breed. The chicks were so cramped they couldn't position to hatch. 1 had it's head stuck under it's wing and after making a hole couldn't get any farther. 2 others made better progress but still couldn't finish zipping. None of the ones I didn't help made it. These are completely healthy chicks with nothing wrong with them except their mothers weren't ready to lay proper eggs yet. I did also help one last hatch that had zipped but gotten stuck and couldn't push the top off. It's a perfectly healthy chick and just as strong as the others but had some bad luck and couldn't finish hatching right.

If in doubt it's best not to touch the eggs and wait to see if the chick will make it on it's own.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    shmooborp. I just lost it over your icon. lolchix, their time has come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by