Half hen/rooster

KristyHall

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
North Alabama
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/03/100315-half-male-half-female-chickens/

Half-Male, Half-Female Chicken Mystery Solved
chicken-sex-cells-hybrid_16950_600x450.jpg

A rare hybrid chicken—reflected in mirrors—has both male (left) and female (right) characteristics.
Photograph courtesy the Roslin Institute at the University of Edinburgh
Ker Than
for National Geographic News

Published March 16, 2010
It was a tough egg to crack, but scientists have finally explained why some chickens are born half male and half female.
The bodies of these hen-rooster hybrids, or gynandromorphs, have a mixture of genetically male and female cells, the research reveals.
Only about 1 in 10,000 chickens are born as gynandromorphs, which have male features—such as a rooster's comb and a defensive leg spur—on one side of their bodies and dainty, henlike features on the other.
Researchers had thought a rare genetic abnormality causes the condition. To test this theory, Michael Clinton of the University of Edinburgh and his team analyzed cells from three gynandromorph chickens.
(Related picture: "Lobster Caught 'Half Cooked' in Maine.")
To their surprise, the team found that the chickens' cells were normal. What was strange, however, was that male cells made up one half of the body, and female cells composed the other half.
Half-Sex Chickens Are Double Fertilized
The scientists believe gynandromorphs are created when a chicken egg becomes fertilized by two sperm.
Despite their dual nature, the hybrid birds typically have one of the sex organs, either testes or ovaries. The scientists did not test whether the chickens could actually reproduce, however.
Gynandromorphs are known to exist in other bird species, such as zebra finches, pigeons, and parrots, Clinton said by email.
It's likely that the phenomenon occurs in all birds species, he added, but it's not always obvious because males and females of many species often look similar.
The research appeared March 11 in the journal Nature.

Quote: I've read this several times, and each time I do, I go, "huh?" 1 egg = 1 complete set of genetic material
1 sperm = 1 complete set of genetic material
1 sperm = 1 complete set of genetic material

Now, I know that I am so tired that I can barely get my eyes to focus on this screen, but in my befuddled brain, that adds up to 3 sets of genetic material. A cell like that is called a triploid, and it is far from "normal!" Normal cells have 2 sets of genetic material, one that came from the egg of the mother, one that came from the sperm of the father. How is it that the egg is supposed to fuse with two sperm, which adds up to a total of 3 sets, and then is supposed to reject one set from one sperm on one side of the bird, and reject the other set from the other sperm on the other side? I simply can't wrap my head around that.
idunno.gif

BTW, does anyone else see hackles on both sides of the so-called "hybrid" bird in the photo?

Last edited:
Interesting read, Mamaroo.

Brain still befuddled (lack of sleep will do that to you) but that reminds me of a very simple, basic fact. In mammals, the sex-determining chromosomes are labeled X and Y; females have 2 X's, males one X and one Y. Because the male has the unalike pair, the male's sperm determines the gender of the offspring. In chickens, the male has two Z's, the female a Z and a W, so the female's contribution determines the gender of the offspring. All chicken sperm have Z chromosomes, so it wouldn't matter how many sperm you were dealing with, they all code the same as far as gender is concerned. Unless someone was suggesting that somehow two sperm were fusing together (once again, "huh?"), to get a bird (or even just one side of a bird) that is male, you'd have to have a Z-containing egg, and a W-containing egg to make a female. That's a minimum of two eggs (not one egg and two sperm). As Adam, Jamie, et. al. say, "Busted!"

It seemed pretty obvious to me that Gynandromorphs must be chimeras of some type, which brings me to a vaguely related topic. I wonder how the chimera's immune system deals with cells that are genetically two different individuals? I'd think that knowing how that works would be very interesting to folks that are trying to keep transplant patients from rejecting donated tissue or organs.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Immunity is determined...chemically, for lack of a better word. During embryogenesis the proteins of the body are presented to the lymphocytes and the cells "learn" which proteins are "self" and don't attack them.

Immunity is determined...chemically, for lack of a better word. During embryogenesis the proteins of the body are presented to the lymphocytes and the cells "learn" which proteins are "self" and don't attack them.
So even though "self" is chemically two different individuals, the lymphocytes recognize them both. Ok, I can see that. But I can see that it can go haywire very quickly, too - as in the problem of Rh incompatibility. (Sorry Kristy, I seem to be hijacking your thread! Mea Culpa.)
hide.gif

Sounds a little like a chimera. There are people with two sets of DNA. Apparently this is caused by two fertilized eggs fusing. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. DNA taken from different tissue will not match. One woman in Canada almost had her children removed by Social Services because her DNA did not match the DNA of her children. According to her DNA she could not be the mother of her children. When she gave birth to her last child there was actually a representative from Social Services in the delivery room to take DNA samples from the newborn baby as soon as it was born. In spite of this, Social Services still wasn't convinced this was the woman's child. They thought there was some sort of surrogacy scam going on and she was carrying someone else's baby. The fact there was no evidence of this didn't matter. I never understood why Social Services wanted to remove the children even if they thought they weren't hers. They were being well taken care of and although she was not married to the children's father, Social Services knew who he was.

Sounds a little like a chimera. There are people with two sets of DNA. Apparently this is caused by two fertilized eggs fusing. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. DNA taken from different tissue will not match. One woman in Canada almost had her children removed by Social Services because her DNA did not match the DNA of her children. According to her DNA she could not be the mother of her children. When she gave birth to her last child there was actually a representative from Social Services in the delivery room to take DNA samples from the newborn baby as soon as it was born. In spite of this, Social Services still wasn't convinced this was the woman's child. They thought there was some sort of surrogacy scam going on and she was carrying someone else's baby. The fact there was no evidence of this didn't matter. I never understood why Social Services wanted to remove the children even if they thought they weren't hers. They were being well taken care of and although she was not married to the children's father, Social Services knew who he was.
I think that was California, not Canada. The woman was applying for government assistance/child support; if the kids weren't hers, that's fraud. She was about to be arrested and prosecuted, that's how Social Services was involved.

Last edited:
Quote: The Rh problem comes from the mom's antibodies attacking the fetus. If she is Rh negative and previously carried an Rh positive child AND was exposed to some of the child's blood, mom can develop antibodies to the Rh factor. Then, if she carries another Rh positive child her antibodies will attack the fetus.

I've read that there is speculation that Anne Boleyn's inability to produce a second child may have been due to this.

editing to say that an Rh neg mom can successfully produce multiple babies even if they are all positive. My Rh(neg) mom has seven Rh(pos) kids, all delivered before the shot was available.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom