Half-muscovy ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Citychicks1984, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Citychicks1984

Citychicks1984 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    I was given ducklings last Easter and I was told at the time that they were muscovies. (The owner didn't know what they were, but my 85 year old grandfather who has raised everything under the sun at one time or another in his long life was positive that that's what they were just by looking at their pictures.) Is there any kind of domestic duck that looks JUST like muscovies when they're little?
    Mine are a year old, do not have the red stuff on any of their faces, but they also dont quack like normal ducks.
    Anyone have a clue? Is there any other behavioral clues I can look for to help id them? Thanks everyone[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They could be drakes, they do look like mixes of some sort.

3. Citychicks1984

Mar 2, 2016
    I forgot to mention my main problem and reason for wanting an id.... I'm trying to incubate the duck eggs. I was told that ducks take 28 days and I'm on day 17. At the time, we didn't realize that muscovies take 35 days. So now I have no idea when to expect them to hatch and when to increase their humidity
    : (

4. Citychicks1984

Mar 2, 2016
    2 are female

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Okay, good...

If they are Muscovy mixes, I don't know that the offspring will be viable - But since their parentage is unknown, I think it would be worth a try.

I suggested drakes because they don't quack... you probably know that, though.

[​IMG]

Anyway, the 28 day and 35 days numbers are averages as far as I know (not a hatcher). It can depend, based on temperature, humidity and other factors.

So, my suggestion is you consider looking for the duck hatching thread on the Hatching Forum, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...arn-chat-meet-new-friends/64930#post_16645961

And there you will see the names of experienced hatchers...

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Nope, no muscovy in them. They are just backyard crosses. So incubation should take around 28 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by