Half my flock.....gone

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ourhouse51, Dec 6, 2008.

1. ourhouse51

ourhouse51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    Thanks to my son and his blasted coon dog....Son left and the dog stayed...he has never tried to get out or anything but for some reason last week we could NOT keep him in the pen. He escaped and wiped out half my flock in one afternoon. He got my game rooster, my BO rooster, and also my last EE in addition to various RIR hens, Dom hen, White leghorns.

I thought he had also gotten Horatio, my RIR rooster but he showed up 2 days ago, minus all his tail feathers and part of his comb.

Dog is back in another pen and SO far has not escaped. I have already informed the family that if he escapes this one and gets just one more, he is a gone dog......

I had just got my flock back up to about 30 hens since the neighbor dog attack. (What good is a dog anyway? Can't eat em, don't lay eggs.....)

2. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Your right about the can't lay eggs part, but don't other countries eat them? I thought I heard that on one of exotic food shows.

3. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    You need to throw a large tow chain as he goes towards the birds. This will scare the *#%$ out of him. I once clipped an empty garbage can to his collar and that kept him away from the birds.

4. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    You pose a good question but it's one you need to pose to your family. Ask them what good is a dog and if no good responses are given, I'd get rid of the dog now. Loss of half your flock is good enough reason for it to go now, in my opinion. You must be a lot more forgiving than I am.

What's with guys getting dogs and leaving them for their mothers to care for? My brother did that to my mother and my loathesome ex-brother-in-law did that to his mother.

Wayne

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am so sorry about your flock! I jsut lost one to a opossum and was devistated, but half your flock! I would ne crushed! [​IMG]

6. ourhouse51

ourhouse51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    I guess I could eat the dog......but it would probably give me indigestion!

I don't know why boys leave their animals. Other son took his cat with him when he left but since it didn't get along with his wifes cat, it came home to me too. (He was a really good inside cat though and I was devastated when we had to have him put to sleep.)

Seems like everytime a kid leaves here, an animal stays. Son came in from Houston, brought his wife and dog....dog got diarrhea and they didn't want to take it back in the car....so he stayed. (not for long though....I hated that dog!)
    I am sure when DD goes to school next year, Jack the Schaunzer will stay here.....

I am nicer than my mother I guess. I cannot imagine ever having even suggested to her that I was leaving an animal at her house!

7. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I would rehome the dog. You would be hardpressed to find a dog that wouldn't go after chickens. I would give him to a hunter that could put his skills to good work. Dogs definetly have their place. You would probably think twice if this dog took out a couple of racoons. I think it is pretty bad that your son left this dog with you. I am afraid once he has tasted chicken this will probably occur again. It isn't the dogs fault. Lets face it the chicken is everybodies favorite food. I hope you can find a home for this dog soon.

8. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    ourhouse51 I completely understand. I left for Thanksgiving for a week. Left 50 chickens and when I came home I had 6 left and a yard full of feathers. Our dog didn't do it but the neighbors dog did again! I had left for the 4th of July and left 17 chickens and 2 ducks behind. I came home and had 3 hens left. A couple of roosters had wandered up the day after we got back but were so badly wounded I had to put them down. Those stupid dogs have cost me a fortune already.[​IMG]

9. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Time for doggie to find a new home....

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Ditto

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by