half of my eggs have small chicks at lockdown. anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moat, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Moat

Moat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    SW Minnesota
    This is my first time incubating, and things have went pretty well so far. I have learned alot from this site. But my air cells were on the small side. So I dropped my humidity to around 25% (no water in bater) and waited till end of day 18 for lockdown. I candled them when I took them out of the turner and some are dark up to air cell (full of chick) but some seem to be only half full with a lot om moister left in them. Is there anything I can do? Or any sugestions on what may have went wrong? Thank you in advance. And thank you for everything everyone has helped me understand so far.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The eggs that appear to have 'small chicks" look like that because somewhere in the developement, the chicks have died. Sorry.

3. Moat

Moat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    SW Minnesota
    They are definately still alive, lots of movement.

4. Moat

Moat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    SW Minnesota
    They are a mix of different cross breeds. Are there some breeds that develop slower, or should all chickens be the same?

5. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    It might be your incubator. Some have cooler spots that will cause slower development.

6. AGraybeal

AGraybeal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    So do you just leave them in and hope for the best then? Sorry I'm on day 18 and I'm curious too since it's my first time as well.

7. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    As today is the day you stop touching the incubator, I would say add some water to the water tray, mark the late eggs so you can identify them, close the lid, and wait 3 or four days. After all the "ready" chicks are hatched and dry, you can remove them to the brooder, top up the water if necessary, and let the late eggs cook another day or two.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    With my first incubation I thought some of my eggs looked less full than others on day 18 but they all hatched on day 21.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by