HALF pipping wrong end.. why? Final result & pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahIrl, Aug 14, 2010.

1. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Out of 19 eggs in bator, 8 have hatched, four upside down. I lay them on their sides to incubate and lockdown blunt end up. Never had one upside down before, but ave had to tip up four of eight chicks now so they can get out. Last one only had a leg out frantically trying to right itself. When I lay it down it just spun so I had to remove the end of the shell. Also got one zipping clockwise. What's going on???!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    if they are on their sides for incubating and then you upend them to hatch, they may be getting disoriented. I incubate in an auto turner so they are always blunt end up and then hatch on their sides. I've not had an issue(touch wood).

Hope they hatch ok.

3. SarahIrl

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I've done all my incubating this way and never had a problem. It's now 12:30 am, I had only four hours sleep last night and as these are for someone else and not me I'm terrified to go to bed and find an incubator full of smothered chicks. Oh, the joys...

4. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Well that's the problem! Never hatch for someone else! If it can go wrong - it will. I know I've been stressing over hatching chicks for a friend. We went in on a batch together $120 each for 24 eggs. Only 12 hatched, 2 died and I am panicked EVERYDAY I go out to care for them that something will have gone wrong. I will never do it again. Way too much stress! [​IMG]

BTW, I've had two hatches since then - no worries. But then, they were eggs for me. [​IMG]

5. SarahIrl

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Ahem, in my other bator I put in six old english pheasant fowl and five barnevelders for a friend who turned up with warm eggs, his incubator broke down after just six hours incubation. ONE oepf has made it, all the eggs were scrambled. They have taken masses of TLC. Not sure I'll see a single egg hatch from these.

As for the pipping crises - these are my own eggs (always bought in before) for a couple whose geese I was incubating were all deformed. I have eight for them, but would LOVE to get my first 100% atch, and all were perfect all along (no guessing with candling and keeping eggs in hope).

I am NOT turning on the bators again this year, although I do run a hatching service, am going to try to persuade everyone to hold off until next spring.

6. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I hatch year round but this was my first venture in hatching for someone else. I swear I have ulcers now. God love ya, I don't know how you do it!

I have 13 of mine going now with all showing development. Last batch of mine 9 of 13 made it. But I know it was a humidity issue and I have since remedied that. I had 4 drown cause it's been so darn humid here for the last month or so.

Set 15 that came in the mail. we'll see how that goes......

7. SarahIrl

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    My best mailed egg hatch is 76% - pretty good. They were my first, lav araucanas. Then brahmas and orps, 90%, collected eggs from sellers. Barnevelders, 45%, collected from sellers. Now mine, all but 1 of 15 bantys out, 1 hybrid from 4 out.

I don't let my hatches run on though, I'm now into day 22 and by teatime I'll finish it up. Will pip the blunt end of whatever is left and hatch any live chicks myself. I ALWAYS have done this, although this is my first year hatching. I have found running on hatches to day 22/23 just brings heartache, they are weak and usually die in the first week. Those that make it out today should be fine.

Apart from tipping up eggs on upside down chicks (now 6 of them) I haven't had to assist once yet. Happy days!

[​IMG]

8. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I am NOT turning on the bators again this year, although I do run a hatching service, am going to try to persuade everyone to hold off until next spring. (quote)

Just out of curiosity how much do you charge for hatching someones eggs?

9. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I'll help them out if it seems they need it. After doing so many, you get to "know" what is gonna make it and what won't. It's like anything - practice makes perfect. I practice a lot [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Oh and so how did the hatch turn out??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by