Half Scalped Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Star2014, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Star2014

Star2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2014
    A few nights ago something got into our chicken coop killing 2 chickens. When I saw I went in and slowly proceeded to the coop. One of our chickens was in the where we have a box for eggs. She was just sitting there and had blood all over the left side of her head. At first I thought it was blood from the others and bent down to pick her up(it was very dark in the coop). I brought her out to clean her up and she was scalped on the left side of her head. Her eye was (it can't be saved) and her head was a mess of dried blood. It has been 5-6 days and she is doing fairly well. She was in shock when I found her. We spray Vetrocin on her 3-4 times a day and are going to put BagBolm on her. She isn't really eating but is drinking and pecking at the ground (sort of eating). She has a big cage in the coop and a bigger one in the yard of the coop so she is with her friends. When she is almost healed we are going to let her have a smallish coop to herself. She was attacked by a A) Raccoon B) Possom (not sure which yet). Her eye is covered in gooey white stuff now too. Anything else I could do to help her? Thanks!

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I am so sorry to hear about your attack.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can.

I might add some high-protein treats like boiled eggs and meal worms to her diet. The higher amounts of protein will help her rebuild tissue and heal a little faster. :)

[​IMG] Let us know how she does!

MrsB

3. Star2014

Aug 15, 2014
    She's dloing fairly well I got her eating hard boiled egg yolks. She still isn't eating a lot though.

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Thank you for the update. Is she drinking?

I had an injured hen that lost her appetite after an injury. She was still drinking, though.

It is MORE important that she is hydrated than fed. If she's off her water, please let us know.

MrsB

5. Star2014

Aug 15, 2014
    She is still drinking. Not a huge appetite but the eye we thought was a definite goner is pretty normal right now.

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I hope she makes a full recovery. :)

MrsB

7. Star2014

Aug 15, 2014
    Today Lucky (the chicken) laid an egg and was eating and was running around in her cage a bit. We scrubbed the wound with Betadine and then put . We think that's what made her eye go back to normal as we did it Wednesday and today (her eye got better Friday). We weren't thinking she would make a full recovery but we think she will now. [​IMG]

8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Great! :) Thanks for the update!

MrsB

9. Star2014

Aug 15, 2014
    She lays an egg almost every day now. She is about to adopt 6 chicks. We have raised 1 Salmon Favorelle 1 Americana and 2 Swedish Flower hens. We also have a Swedish Flower cockerel who is actually pretty sweet and 1 who-knows-what-breed-it-is hen it's a Favorelle but not a salmon Favorelle or it is crossbred. But the chicks are still a bit small so Lucky is going to watch them because the chicks pen is currently Lucky's daytime run. Lucky will sleep there at night too.
    Lucky is doing great skin is almost back to normal and I give her the eggshells off a hard boiled egg sometimes for a bit of calcium. About once every other week she gets a bit of yolk from a hard boiled egg with some crack corn around it. She quite likes her life I think. She's a bit spoiled as far as chickens go.:/

10. Star2014

Aug 15, 2014
    Wrong emoji:p
    There we go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by