Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics

MGG

Enabler
Feb 7, 2020
Hi guys! So I'm trying this finally! I'm going to try this with two chicken eggs. I'm going to cut a chicken egg shell in half, set the half inside a Dixie cup, poke a few air holes in the bottom/sides of the cup, crack the egg inside the shell, cover the top with saran wrap, and put it in. The chicks are crosses from my flock, my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte pullet X Buff Brahma Bantam Rooster (Egg #1) and Partridge Cochin Pullet X Buff Brahma Bantam Rooster (Egg #2). I'm really excited about the PC egg. I just have one problem, I already have duck eggs on day 7 in the incubator which are higher on the priority list. I don't know how to turn the cups though. That's my main problem. Anyway, if anyone wants to try this that would be awesome! I'd love to see if it works, and it would be really fun to do this along with a few others. So if you want to try a fun experiment, put in a half shell egg! I'm setting the eggs tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to tag @FortCluck @CluckNDoodle @WVduckchick @JaeG . FC do you have any suggestions on how to turn them? Excited to try this! I'll post pics when I do this tomorrow.

I’ll be anxious to see pics!

I can’t exactly picture in my mind what you mean, but maybe sit the cups in an egg carton, and tilt back and forth?
I'll post pics tomorrow. It's kinda hard for me to picture still, lol. I'm not sure how to fit an egg carton in here, maybe I can cut out a couple slot things off of the carton and put them in those. Thanks for that idea!

I'm down to 3 incubators at the moment but I'll definitely follow along! When FortCluck attempted this I remember watching and reading some videos and articles that were shared that were helpful but there seems to always be some steps missing or unanswered questions. It may take a few attempts to work out the kinks in the project. I look forward to following along!

I'm down to 3 incubators at the moment but I'll definitely follow along! When FortCluck attempted this I remember watching and reading some videos and articles that were shared that were helpful but there seems to always be some steps missing or unanswered questions. It may take a few attempts to work out the kinks in the project. I look forward to following along!
3 incubators! Wow! 😂 Thanks for following! I'll post pictures daily. It's partly to help me document this so I don't forget, lol

3 incubators! Wow! 😂 Thanks for following! I'll post pictures daily. It's partly to help me document this so I don't forget, lol

Yes, ONLY 3, because I dropped one and broke it. :gig

If the manufacturer responds and I can come up with a solution to fix my 4th incubator in time to participate, I will! :D

Back
Top Bottom