Half Shelled Eggs in Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StaffordChicken, Oct 19, 2008.

1. StaffordChicken

StaffordChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    My pekin duck started laying eggs about 3 days ago. We seem to be getting them 2 at a time and this is what comes out....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, I've never seen that! They look like soft shell, is she getting enough calcium? They deffinitely are different. Did you mean she just started laying, as in, never has laid eggs before?

3. StaffordChicken

StaffordChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Shes never had eggs before so this is her first batch. Im not sure about her calcium levels because her and her boyfriend make messes out of the dirt and hardly eat from their bowls. I do have oyster shell and might try and coax her into eating some. I thought since it was her first she might just have a couple of goofs but after the 4th one Im kinda worried for her.

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    One of our young ducks laid an egg like this. I believe it is common when ducks (and chickens) begin to lay that the eggs can be soft like this. They will also lay smaller eggs at first.

I was a little freaked out when I saw ours. Then the silly hens came and tried to eat it up! I ran them off and cleaned up the mess so they wouldn't develop a taste for them.

Deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by