Half Silkie or half Frizzle Cochin bantam????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by danajo84, Feb 18, 2017.

1. danajo84

danajo84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas
    Ok so I decided about a year ago that I wanted to cross silkies and frizzles to make sizzles so I bought several of both silkies and frizzles. The frizzles are Cochin bantam frizzles. This is one of the babies that hatched. He or she is beautiful but I have no idea if she's half silkie or just frizzle. Because both the silkies and the frizzles have feathered feet. She does have extra toes one on each foot. So I'm thinking that means she's half silkie. I have both smooth and curly frizzle Cochin bantams. Is this a sizzle??? Any opinions???[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    the extra toes do lend themselves to a silkie father.

but.....

this chick clearly has a straight comb. A silkie cross, or a Wyandotte cross, should not have a straight comb. Even if you crossed one of those breeds with a straight combed bird, the offspring should not have a straight comb. Combining the two of them...if those are the only possible parents, you have some poor genetics in your breeding stock. I understand when you're playing mix and match with breeds, it's not so important as if you're breeding pure bred birds. But, if the genetics are off in comb style, it increased the chance they're off in other areas as well, making predicting traits in offspring difficult.

The amount of foot feathering makes me think Cochin, not silkie.

My understanding is, putting a silkie cock over a yellow skinned hen (Wyandotte) gives sex linked offspring with regards to skin/shank color. Females get the black/dark skin, males get the light/pale skin. If that's true, your bird is a little cockerel.

Can you post a pic of it's feet, showing the extra toes?

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would guess the silkie too as it looks like it has a small crest.

4. danajo84

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas

I will post a picture of the feet yes. Is it possible this is a sizzle chick and not Wyandotte at all??? I ordered all my chicks from McMurry hatchery. Some of my frizzles are smooth and some are curly. Maybe I just thought it was a Wyandotte egg because it was bigger. This baby looks WAY different then all of the other chicks that hatched out and is 2 sizes bigger then all the others.

5. danajo84

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cochins have much heavier feathering on feet than most silkies. Whatever, it is a really cute chick.

7. danajo84

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas
    [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd think a Cochin/silkie mix, with that much foot feathering.

apparently your Silkie is recessive for a straight comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by