1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Half Sisters Riley and Fern Square Off! Pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Sep 22, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Fern is a pure BR, the daughter of my ailing Ivy with Dutch. Riley is a blue barred EE, daughter of one of my blue Ameraucana hens and Dutch, so they are half-sisters. They were raised by two different broodies and are a month apart in age, Riley being 11 weeks and Fern 16 weeks old. They sort of knew each other a tiny bit from meeting on range with their moms.
    Riley seems to remember Fern very well. She keeps trying to be pals, which is not on Fern's agenda at all. Haven't posted pics of Fern in ages-Fern's barring is only a tad better than her hatchery mama's. Riley is very broad-bodied like her mama Charlotte and her daddy Dutch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Poor baby Riley!!! Just wants to be friends! Fern shouldn't be such a snob!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Meanie Fern! [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Well shame on Fern! [​IMG]

They are both lovely Cyn! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Fern is spoiled rotten by my DH. Maybe she looks down on Riley's pretty beard and muffs, LOL.
    Riley is just a sweetheart of a girl and I think she may be larger than Fern when she gets older. Funny that they are half sisters, isn't it?

6. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Riley is turning out cute! Getting big so fast! I can't believe how fast they have grown! Let's see Gracie... maybe Gracie will take up for Riley!

7. speckledhen

Gracie is a little slip of a girl, even now. She's two weeks younger than Riley and she's going to be petite, it seems and may not even make it into the Delaware breeding flock, not really sure yet. She has lots of growing and changing to do. Gracie,being only 9 weeks old is not quite ready to tangle with Fern. Here she is, getting her hackle color now.
    [​IMG]

8. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Aww I hope Gracie makes it! Grow Gracie Grow!

Well poot. Riley needs a muscle... someone who can talk some sense into Fern. And check out the look on Fern's face, she has no intention of hanging out with "that kid"! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

LOL, I know! Fern was like, "Go away, you pesky kid!". And Fern is starting to hang out with Dutch and act all flirty now, or at least, like she is really following him around and acting all interested in whatever he's doing.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Aww, they're both so perty. I'm sure you shook your finger at Fern and told her to play nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by