Half-skinned turkey!? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by onafixedincome, Apr 13, 2011.

1. onafixedincome

onafixedincome Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Okay, I know she's technically the wrong species for this forum, but....she's poultry, at least!

Have charge of a friend's WONDERFUL, personality plus Bourbon Red hen after the (unbutchered...grr) overgrown Broad Breasted Bronze (70 lbs!) tom climbed her...and slipped.

Her right side from base of wing to base of tail, from about an inch off the backbone, was literally skinned. By the time the injury was found, the skin had dried and died at the bottom of the damage (doesn't take long) and the wound was to the muscle and infected.

A cleaning antiseptic was applied and a dressing put on, then wrapped. The wound was re-cleaned two days later and furzone ointment very liberally applied with another dressing and wrap. The wound is still quite dry (although oiling up with the furazone is helping soften it) and the peeled-off skin is going to have to be cut short soon.

While this is a wonderful, loving, and totally spoilt turkey, this is not a one-person job to do! I need some suggestions on how to keep her still so I can raise that wing and work on her wound.

Will a hood like is used on falcons keep her more still? As it is, she just walks away when she has had enough and as I have only one arm to use freely, this is not a match made in heaven...

Help!

thanks, guys, you're awesome!

ps..she's not going back until that @%%!! tom is in the freezer, by the way...not doing this again!

2. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
  3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    poor turkey hen and you, always happens when someone else is caring for the pets. sounds like you are doing all the right things, I bet a hood would help, can you get another person to help you for the task? maybe wrapping her body and other wing in a towel, would sotp her from flapping that other wing, hope someone here can help you.

4. onafixedincome

onafixedincome Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Update:

Let's see. Agatha the Bourbon Red Hen is doing GREAT! [​IMG] After being soused up with the furazone ointment (please note--don't use this on meat birds!) and bandaged for almost a week, the scab and dead tissues just peeled away with little coaxing to reveal--pink, healthy new tissue. Absolutely incredible.

So I slathered the stuff on again, and rebandaged; we'll leave that on for another week and see where we are at that point.

My main concern now is to keep flies out of it and her comfortable.

She can't be doing too terribly badly--we're up to her first FIVE eggs ever! [​IMG] Ok, maybe six by this morning. YAY!!!

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    good news, glad to hear she is doing well. No idea about the flies, sounds gross, keep an eye on the wound and a look out for maggots, ick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by