Halloween chicks all roo's ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FuzzyButtsFarm, Nov 4, 2010.

1. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

The Red Star chicks, RIR roo / Leghorn hen, all look like roo's. According to the Breed Index on BYC the males will be a pale yellow with small patches of brown red or black. Well they are all pale yellow with very small black patches. [​IMG] Will post pic's as soon as I get some good shots. They don't sit still. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Most White Leghorn hens do not carry the correct color genes to make sex-link chicks. If they do not carry the right color genes, then when bred to a RIR rooster all of the chicks will be white with black spots, both males and females. If they do carry the correct genes, females will be reddish and males will be white/yellow (with no spots I think). Sorry. [​IMG] At least this means you probably don't have all boys!

Here's a link to the best sex-link page on the web! [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

[​IMG] Thank you Thank you Thankyou. [​IMG] I wanted a roo to replace the mean RIR but not 4. [​IMG]

4. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm glad you're happy! I think you're the only one I've told "no" to about a sex-link question that was happy about it, LOL! [​IMG] Congrats on the chickies! [​IMG]

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

Thank-you. I ended up with 14 chicks. 6 RIR/Buff Orps, 6 RIR/Leghorns and 2 RIR/Black Star. This was my first attempt at hatching in a homemade bator. A 82% hatch rate and I am thrilled to death. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    if i rememeber correctly its the silver gene used to make red sex links. not necessarily white. also, there are two different kind of white dominant and recessive. sounds like the leghorn uses a dominant white gene because all of the babies came out white. if it had been recessive white the babies should have came out red(ish) but would have been split to white. most breeds people use to make the red stars are a RIR roo and either SLW, delaware, or white rock hens. black stars are usually made with RIR roos and barred rock hens whereas the male chicks will be black with a white spot on the head and the female chicks will be all black. please note this is to the best of my knowledge. anyone else feel free to chime in.

7. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:That's an AWESOME hatch rate, especially for a homemade bator! [​IMG]

I hatched a RIR x BO pullet this spring and she's beautiful! She's light orange with a greenish black tail. [​IMG]

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

The rir/orp crosses are all different some light some dark especially across the back. bit they are only 4 days old. Don't know what they will feather out at, but I am thrilled to death. [​IMG] I was only expecting half that many. My brooder had to go condo to make more room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by