Halo got a Kitten! AND Costumed pets! LOL :D NEW!!! PICS :D

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Guitartists, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LMAO Well, we were not planning on having any more cats until we moved to the country someday, but........ we have been taking Halo (our PBT to the coop with us and letting him run while we're there. He loves to check on his chickens and run and play with FIL's dogs. However, FIL also has 7 cats. The ONLY cats Halo sees on a regular basis are the ones that the neighbors own that we are always shooing away from the bird feeders and the garage where they pee on our stuff :thun Soooooo he does not have a very friendly attitude toward cats in general. He was attacked by FIL's extremely feral kitty Boobers when he was a pup and had been somewhat scared of them since. However, he has been getting braver. Treeing cats when we are at the coop and chasing them into the garage. Obviously he does not want to kill them yet as he has been nose to nose with a few and has only barked at them.... but, in time, I imagine he would try it, especially if one scratched him. So, we figured it was time to socialize him with cats before he ONLY views them as a pest.

In the past I have tried to take in some strays.... but all were already scared of dogs and they never did hit it off with Halo... so I never kept any of them [​IMG] There have been signs up EVERYWHERE for kittens..... DH agrees maybe it is time to get one and lo and behold... NO more signs! LMAO So, I had given up on the idea and figured we'd just have to try and break him of chasing the cats some other way when I took my son to his friends house to play. Their outdoor cats had kittens... and one little black kitty caught my eye [​IMG] I just happened to have Idiot with me who was going nutz because their dogs were barking and cats were running EVERYWHERE! LOL I brought the kitten to the car to see how it went and he shut right up!!! Brought the kitten home and it has pretty much been a love affair ever since! [​IMG] She had a cold, so we put her in Halo's kennel with a litter box and food and water so I can keep her quaranteened until the antibiotics kick in and she starts feeling better. Halo likes to go in the kennel and check on her. As soon as she sees him she purrs and runs up to him and rubs on his muzzle! He then grooms her and licks her bottom.... and he does that itching thing that I have only ever seen one other dog do. My FIL's matriarch dog used to groom and itch all of the dogs and the cats! LMAO I even have a pic of her itching her 'puppy' Teddy Bear! LMAO

[​IMG]

It's the funniest thing seeing Halo go from cat chaser to cat lover in seconds flat! LMAO It's funny because he tries to be so gentle with her since she is still so small... but he can't help but bowl her over when he is licking her! So, now Halo has his very own kitten [​IMG] I don't know if this will completely curb his want to chase other cats..... but hopefully the socialization and realization that they are not ALL evil pests will help [​IMG]

Hopefully my camera will be repaired and shipped back to me soon so I can get some pics of the two of them together [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Congrats on the new kitten! I'm glad they all get along. Our cat is pregnant is you need another one [​IMG] Can't wait to see those pics!

My dogs do that itching thing to the cats, and the other dogs too.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Don't mind the eyebrows... LMAO That's another story [​IMG] hehehehe

Sorry they are blurry... good camera is in the shop but I had enough juice left in the double AA's in my backup camera to snag a couple of blurry shots! LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    LOL omg he has the "peoples eyebrow"!!!!!
    lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:lau [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:gig [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Kids been into the make up?
    Or is that marker for eyebrows?

Too funny! [​IMG]

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL It's marker [​IMG] Was trying to cheer up DH since he returned to work after a week off LOL

7. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    So the growed up is guilty of drawing on the dog???
    Talk about setting an example for the kids [​IMG]

Halo looks cute with his new buddy.
    Maybe Halo always liked cats, he just didn't know how to tell them that (like a little boy pulling the girl's hair).

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    OMG! I think you may be right! LOL

Tonight he cornered a young coon but refused to go in for the kill, even after much encouragement. When I thwacked it with a shovel, he nuzzled and itched it [​IMG] [​IMG] :| So much for killer pit bull! LOL He did however go after FILs dog when he tried to drag the coon off to eat it. :eek: But it was over as soon as he submitted. Halo was the only one bleeding.... a small puncture from Rocky on his chin. Stupid dogs. Buried the coon.

I guess as long as he finds and holds them I can dispatch them. So weird though, every other dog I have ever owned would have taken care of it all on their own [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  9. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I think Halo is definitely a lover not a fighter![​IMG]:lau

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Better watch out, or Halo's liable to start protecting all the furry critters from YOU!

[​IMG] I can visualize you with a shovel and Halo between you and the coon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by