halp!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jukovon, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Jukovon

Jukovon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    California
    [​IMG]
    So I have 3 chicks I had to remove from the brooder flock today because they were in this condition,the other 2 were bleeding. There is a fourth that had some pecking around it's tail, but it was no where near as bad as the other three.
    I don't really have a back up brooder for them so I havee them in two storage crates in my room with some newspapaer down(2 per box)
    Is it fine that I have a heater in my room keeping it a constant 75? there aren't any drafts in my room and during the day it can get to up to 80 degrees right now.(Living in Souther California)
    I've put Mupirocin on their wounds for now and they have been mostly sleeping.

I want to know the best way to keep them healthy and happy and how long will it be for them to grow their feathers(or down) back.
    They are 2 almost 3 weeks old and were growing in their feathers where the exposed flesh is. I'm also a little worried because I hear it may have been self inflicted wounds.
    Any advice is welcome(except culling, I'm not down for that)

Also any tips or stuff on treats I can give them to make handling easir for them, because I will be handling them more to apply the medicine.
    Please and Thank you
    -Juko.

2. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    I would say first to put down paper towels- Newspaper has no traction for them and can injure their legs.

Also- I would put a desk lamp or something on them at least because at 2-3 weeks old they should be at 75-80 but with the injuries they may need a little more heat because they are weaker. I'd offer vitamin/ electrolyte water as well.

3. Jukovon

Jukovon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    California
    Okay I have some of that stuff, and after I made this post I actually raised the temprature on the heater to 80 degrees because I get worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by