Halters for Goats and Sheep

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Felicia, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Does anyone know where I can get some? I have been searching for some. And if I do find them, they aren't pretty looking whatsoever [​IMG]. I have some Pygmy mix goats, Alpine goat, and Romney sheep - so I need from very tiny halters to a large halter.

(Sorry if I put this in the wrong section...)

2. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
  3. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Jeffers and Hoegger goats does. I have some sm ones and i do not like they way they fit on my pygmy's. I needed to make more holes in it so i could even think about getting it tight enough. I decided to switch with collars and their face hair doesnt get all smushed anymore.

4. Keriamon

Keriamon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Can you tie a rope halter for them, like people make for horses? (You should be able to find instructions online.) Some people specifically use a thinner rope because it's supposed to be more uncomfortable IF they lean on it. It's supposed to discourage them from pulling you around the yard by the lead rope. Not a bad idea if your critters have a tendency to spook or dart off in random directions, taking your arm socket with them.

5. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    I use dog harnesses on my pygmys w/matching leash . I never thought of a harness and collars made me uncomfortable(getting caught on something and causing the goat to be hung ) . I use Lupine http://lupinepet.com/dog/med_dog.php

6. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Goats need a halter that is shaped differently than what you see on a horse. The problem I found was the goats hated them, a collar the didn't mind (used only for leading) but the halter was a huge fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by