Hamburg and Lakenvelders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cottagechick, Jul 30, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have a couple of pullets and some chicks on order...but it was suggested that I add some layers like Hamburgs. I almost ordered some Hamburgs at the same time I ordered the chicks, but I was concerned with the flying/doesn't like confinement. I will have 7 Bantams and am planning a 5' by 24' run, it could be made bigger if necessary. They will be able to free range with supervision a couple of hours a day on 1/4 acre. Their coop hasn't been completely divided. But I will make it sufficient to their needs. All in all it would be seven bantams and a Hamburg or Lakenvelder or two. Would I have enough space for adding a Hamburg and/or a Lakenvelder? Would I need a bigger run for them. I am planning on having it 8-10 feet high. Will I just have an insane Hamburg if I try to keep her in this enclosure? If I let her free range will I ever be able to get her in the coop? Is there really a difference in laying/flightiness between the Blue and Golden Spangled Hamburg? Any thoughts on the Lakenvelder? It seems to have less of a problem with confinement? Will there laying be worthy of all this worry?[​IMG] (deep breath)

Thanks, Julie!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Also, if I do add them, should I call and add the order to my chicks that are coming (fingers crossed) the first week of September...or wait a while?
    Thanks, Julie!

3. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Here are some SS Hamburg Bantams, they are kinda molting [​IMG]
    So excuse the pale faces & roughed up feather quality [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    They are beautiful, but do you have any answers to my question?

5. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Bringing this forward, maybe someone, someday will have an opinion...

I will have 7 Bantams and am planning a 5' by 24' run, it could be made bigger if necessary. They will be able to free range with supervision a couple of hours a day on 1/4 acre. Their coop hasn't been completely divided. But I will make it sufficient to their needs. All in all it would be seven bantams and a Hamburg or Lakenvelder or two. Would I have enough space for adding a Hamburg and/or a Lakenvelder? Would I need a bigger run for them. How does the laying compare for the two?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by