Hamburg(ers)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenSnake, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    Hello I didnt see a dedicated page for the Hamburg variety. Does anyone keep these birds?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Wow - did you take the pic in your avatar? Does he keep the mice at bay if you pay him an egg a day?

3. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:The primary thread is a few pages back; there's a few of us on BYC, including DanPowell, but we're not the chattiest bunch ever (well, I am, look at my post count and sign-up date!) and it's a busy time of year.

I need to turn my young SSH cockerel in with my three young (but laying, indeed flooding the house with eggs) pullets, but my hired help has evaporated.

4. ChickenSnake

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    They are such handsome birds! Thank you guys for the links, I appreciate it.

Just a couple questions: I have read mixed statements on whether or not they like to be handled and whether or not they produce a lot of eggs. For me I'm looking for a couple of real cuddly hens to put out in my backyard for my own omlette enjoyment.

But for breeding:
    I'm looking for a not so common bird to put on my Aunts property for my Cousin and Sister to show in the next couple of years. I think it would be great for them to get into a 4h or ffa and really work towards something. These guys are very beautiful and hardy so I think they would be great for a big peice of land, but seeing as you've raised them before; What do you think?

5. ChickenSnake

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    Quote:Wow - did you take the pic in your avatar? Does he keep the mice at bay if you pay him an egg a day?

Hahaha no no. He would gorge himself, to death even! Besides if I left him in there with a coop of chichens, the hens would eat him! I've seen a group of cockerals and pullets run around with a poor Texas Rat Snake pulling on him like it was a Lady and the Tramp competition!

6. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:Mine are flighty to a degree- the cockerel flips out when I put bedding in his enclosure, for instance. The hens will stay right next to my hand when I'm gathering eggs (and the LFs are pretty much egg machines) but move out of the way if touched. I am not into handling my chickens, though- I suspect that my experience isn't going to generalize well.

Letting chickens of any sort free-range on a large piece of land and having chickens that are easy to handle may well be mutually exclusive, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by