Hamburg housing

minister man

Songster
13 Years
Sep 9, 2010
New Brunswick
Does anyone out there raise Hamburgs? I am wondering how large a pen/ cage or whatever people would use to single or trio mate. I have been reading that they don't take well to confinement, but does that just reffer to the fact that they are not a "battery Cage" hen, or do they need a lot of room everywhere?

Thanks

Mine are extremely active. I would say they need twice as much room as your average chicken. They seem to do better when calmer breeds are kept with them. If you put a few brown egg layers with them then you will know which eggs are the hamburgs.

Mine are super busy too. Opinionated, always chattering and muttering and skittering around. They have these smallish, tight, hard little bodies, and think they are giants, but that's just their egos and energy level. I'd say extra space, I'm particularly glad mine have two levels and some stairs to run up and down, and, they like to FLY.

Mine don't seem to be overly active, but they do like to go up and down the ladder to the coop all day long. They do have tight, small little bodies. My girls are in with five barred rocks, and that may have something to do with how they act since the hamburgs are lower in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom