hamburg with a crest

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suzeqf, Apr 20, 2012.

1. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I've got a mystery on my hands. I picked up a silver spangled hamburg pullet at Buchiets that was prob about a week or so old and after a few days I noticed she was starting to gets a small crest which i just wrote off as baby fuzz but she's still got it 2 weeks later and it's gotten bigger, she came from Ideal. My hamburg roo didn't have a crest and I'm wondering if any of y'all have seen a hamburg with a crest. Ideal also sells German Spitzhauben and I was wondering if by some chance she could be one of these instead of a hamburg. I can't find a pic of a young Spitzhauben to compare her too.

2. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    picture?

3. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    I tried but it will only post 1/2 of it and its' the wrong 1/2 i'll try again when i get home. She looks just like my hamburg roo did at that age but with a little crest it's just odd.

4. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Sounds like a Spitzhauben to me

[​IMG]

5. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    She really favors yours that would be so awesome if she was because I've been wanting one.

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Spitzhaubens have V combs, even in a small chick you can see the comb, it's just a mini version. Hamburgs have rose combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by