hamburger grease :(

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kayla10240, Jan 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kayla10240

Kayla10240 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    So...I have raised my chicken since she was a chick and she is almost 7 years old. Because of how long i have had her, (and just cause she is my baby) i care for her a lot and I am a little concerned because today she managed to get into hamburger grease and i am just wondering if that is okay for her or will it hurt her in any way? What can i do to make her feel better or to make me not be so worried?

2. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    There will be more specifics needed to better answer :)

Such as how much eaten, is she showing signs of not feeling well, any current pic of the issue

In very general terms chickens can get into a lot of stuff and eat it and never show any ill effects

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

She should be fine, she might have some diarrhea a bit of an angry belly but it shouldn't do any major harm.

4. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    My chickens eat the bits of suet (essentially hamburger grease) that fall from the suet feeder. No harm.

Aceoky likes this.
  5. Kayla10240

Kayla10240 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    Well she seems to be acting normal, I'm not sure exactly how much she ate, i would post a picture but I'm on a laptop and currently have no way to post a picture. She is currently pecking her seeds/digging through them.

6. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Suet, i.e. hardened fat/grease, is often fed to woodpeckers as a high-calorie treat. She'll be fine.
    When you say she's eating seeds, is that all she eats? She should be on a complete chicken feed, with seeds only as treats.

Aceoky likes this.
  7. Kayla10240

Kayla10240 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    Thank you all, this is actually REALLY helping me not to stress so much. I really appreciate the replies. :)

8. Kayla10240

Kayla10240 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    Well she has chicken feed, that is what I meant..my bad. I give her meal worms as treats

9. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Okay, good. That should be a healthy diet.
    Hamburger fat won't hurt her. In fact, you could give her a tidbit of hamburger meat every now and then in lieu of mealworms, if she likes it. Chickens will eat meat if they can catch it, after all! It's usually mice or lizards, though, chickens can't exactly catch cows with any significant degree of success.

Aceoky and imnukensc like this.
  10. Kayla10240

Kayla10240 Hatching

Jan 23, 2019
    Lol..Will do, and again thank you! I was terribly stressed about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: