Hamburgs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by abbey2140, Nov 17, 2010.

1. abbey2140

abbey2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2008
    North Branch, MI
    My daughter just received a pair of Silver Spangled Hamburgs. We really know nothing about these birds other than the many different opinions we have read online. Do any of you have pics that you can post so we can compare ours? Also PLEASE BE HONEST if you know what they are suppose to look like please let us know what you think of these two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Very pretty birds. Here are couple of pics of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. abbey2140

Feb 11, 2008
    North Branch, MI
    Are they good breeders? Her leader gave them to her and we really know nothing about the breed. We have always had Seramas, Cochins and Brahmas. He seems really flighty! She is a bit tamer and with some handling I think she"ll end up friendly....him on the other hand [​IMG]

4. radiodog

radiodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    I have two gold spangled hamburgs that a friend gave to me...a roo and a pullet. The pullet is more flighty than the rooster. He hardly ever crows.... in fact, I don't think I've ever heard a peep out of the pullet. Both get along very well with my BR, SS and 3 blue splash andulasians. Love the silver spangled ones you have!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Are these bantams? If so, they may be from Jim LaGendre lines because the feather patterns are so detailed, unlike the hatchery large fowl Hamburgs.

I used to raise them and now only have one which it belongs to my six year old daughter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they are just beautiful! The rooster has a correct comb and no "smuttness in their tail feathers. Your daughter will do very well in shows!

6. abbey2140

Feb 11, 2008
    North Branch, MI
    Yes they are bantams and I know the mans name she got them from is Jim but I don't know what his last name is. She had to get rid of her entire flock and offered these to my daughter. It took her one look to say YES!! lol

Edited for my oops:
    The guy she got them from lives in Ohio. I thought his name was Jim but that's where she got some cochins from lol. This guys last name is Morgan. Not the same person. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well glad to say he got excellent flock! She is off a very good start on the Hamburgs!

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    They look pretty good. Hopefully he's still growing or recently molting because his tail should look more like this boy in the pic.

[​IMG]

9. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    I recently bought a pair and every single egg has hatched..he is one FERTILE boy..lol!! The bad news is that he obviously was not handled at all because he's meaner than a snake!! We are having discussions daily about his attitude..he is coming along nicely [​IMG]

10. abbey2140

Feb 11, 2008
    North Branch, MI
    Quote:He is coming out of a molt by evidence of hie feathers everywhere when we picked them up. She got them late summer of 2009 as chicks so they are just over a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by