1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hamburgs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Chicken Bee, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Would anybody be able to recommend any hatcheries or breeders of Hamburgs, in colors other than silver spangled? I would prefer a variety. I don't need them to be perfect show quality, since I'm not intending to show or breed them. Also, I need a place that is either located in, or willing to ship to New York.

I'm still new to buying chickens, especially online, so all help and information is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Ideal hatchery has the following:

Blue Hamburgs (with these you may also get black and splash) the blue usually breeds out 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash.
    Golden Penciled Hamburgs
    Golden Spangled Hamburgs
    Silver Penciled Hamburgs
    Silver Spangled Hamburgs

3. Chicken Bee

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Interesting! Thank you. Does anybody have pictures and/or experience buying Hamburgs from Ideal? My largest priority is healthy birds, and then good color.

Also, is there any place I can find Black or Citron Hamburgs? I've read about these colors, but I'm not sure where I can get them from.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Not specifically hamburgs but chickens in general from Ideal yes, The chicks arrived alive and well. Lost a couple in about 2 days (expected), colors can be off somewhat tough, especially the laced birds.

5. Shanty

Shanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Canutillo Texas
    In 2010 we had Hamburgs from four sources: Murray McMurray, Ideal, My Pet Chicken and C & M Game Farm. We ordered 5 cockerels from Ideal, and those cockerels were outstanding in color and markings. They had superb standard combs. The Murray McMurray order was for five pullets and these were all overmarked with too much black in the pattern. They all had good combs, which are really the hallmark of this breed. My granddaughter had me order 10 "Blue" Hamburg pullets from My Pet Chicken for her. She ended up with 5 Blue and 5 Splash pullets. Good color and type on these girls. OK combs. For cockerels she ordered 5 "Blue" Hamburgs from Ideal. She gave 3 to a friend as chicks and kept 2. Only one made it to maturity--a lovely black cockerel. I ordered the assorted Hamburgs from C & M Game Farm. They matured into 6 Golden Spangled, 4 Golden Pencilled, and 15 Silver Spangled Hamburgs--most were pullets. The SSpg birds had outstanding color and pattern; most had fair combs. A few had what I call "stub" combs. They lacked that nice point on the top end of the comb. Looked to be a genetic feature probably found in the parent stock. Some were OK, however, and crosses with those good combed Ideal cockerels will produce some birds with better combs.

Why four sources? That way we'd both have a wider gene pool with which to work. And . . . you really won't know what you'll get from most hatcheries, especially if they contract eggs from other sources, or have chicks drop-shipped from other sources. From four sources we were at least assured of a few good foundation birds. And, no, neither of us intend to show the birds. They are simply our "pretty" birds. If that was the plan, we would have bought show quality Hamburgs from the "best" source we could afford.

I'd offer photos as proof, but I am an old retired guy with no 'puter skills, and no desire to get past communicating with words. Words I can do. Rest assured that at age 60 I've seen good and bad Hamburgs. I used to show OE Game Bantams, too. Now I just raise egg layers on my acre. In fact, I had best get my egg cartons filled for an egg sale today.

Shannon

1 person likes this.
  6. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Meyer hatchery has ,silver spangled,blue and golden spangled hamburgs.

7. Chicken Bee

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Thank you to all of you for the information! I really appreciate you sharing your experiences Shanty, it's a big help. Also, thank you EweSheep for the link. This gives me plenty of options to consider, exactly what I was hoping for.

8. distinctivepoultry

distinctivepoultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    good morning
    I raise golden pencilled hamburgs in the bantams. I do show them and have done quite well in the past. I will be hatching again this year and will have some adult stock to sell as well. I am located in Brigewater MA. feel free to contac me.

ps IM new to the forum
    dave

9. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by