Hampshire or Rhode Island Red? or?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MikeOhlh, Dec 16, 2012.

1. MikeOhlh

MikeOhlh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Shiner, Texas
    My Coop
    I traded a Red Wattle Piglet for some chickens and a rooster, the person was not sure what kind this was, but said she thought it might be a Hampshire or (I think she said maybe) Rhode Island Red. It really only matters because she lays very large (jumbo sized) eggs, and I might want to get a couple more of her breed. Thanks in advance! I thought I had better pictures, but I can get more if needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not either a New Hampshire nor a Rhode Island Red.

[​IMG]

Rhode Island Red Pullet

[​IMG]

New Hampshire pullet.

3. Fred's Hens

Wellie? or Brown Leghorn? Neither of those are my breeds, so sorry, Probably shouldn't guess. LOL

What color egg does she lay?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  4. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Wellsummer - wild type coloring - comb is too small for a brown leghorn and she is also chunkier

5. MikeOhlh

Dec 13, 2012
    Shiner, Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    This is one of her eggs, she very reliably has one waiting every morning even now. Sometimes another in the afternoon, usually not.
    I should also say I can't be certain she is not some mix.

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Looks like my hatchery Welsummer.

Looks like the eggs she lays, too. They're supposed to lay pretty dark eggs, but mine is lighter with spots like that one.

7. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    X2

8. MikeOhlh

Dec 13, 2012
    Shiner, Texas
    My Coop
    Well, I got out the trusty Google and looked for images of Wellies, when I came across a very good likeness of my bird called a Welsummer/Barnvelder cross. Where did Google find that photo?... Right here on BYC. What do you think? I really don't have a good chicken eye, so dont know what to look for.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/271757/the-welsummer-thread/4580 shows a pullet that to me looks similar. except for the white ear on mine.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Unless the colors of the picture are way off, that hen has white ears, which disqualifies Welsummer as a possibility. She's a Brown Leghorn, and that shouldn't be her egg.

10. Fred's Hens

We must not confuse the ear "cover" with the ear lobe. Besides, that is only a guide, not an absolute anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by