Hamster has a abscess on inside cheek, need advice!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Feb 5, 2013.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    My dwarf hamster bear (1 1/2 years old) has recently aqquired a abscess on the inside of his cheek overnight! I have researched and everyone says bring to a vet, but we cannot afford a vet right now. Is there anything I can do?
    Symtoms:
    Breathing heavily
    Wheezing
    Making clicking noises
    Big lump on one side of face
    swelling on side of face
    Won't eat or drink
    Loosing weight
    Coughing/sneezing

When I put water through a syringe in his mouth, he will take a lil and then wheeze and wheeze and try to cough it back up. Its like he can't swallow it.

Any home remedies, advice? anything to help him?

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Are there any animal charities near you? Some vets will treat animals for free if you are getting state benefits or are out of work.

It may be he has something stuck in his cheek pouch? My old hamster when a bit forgetful in his old age and would fill up his cheek pouches with food and forget to empty them. The first time the food when bad in there and when the vet emptied the pouch it stank and I was nearly sick!

He taught me to do it myself after that. If I noticed his cheeks were full for a couple of days I would pick him up gently by the scruff of the neck, then gently, but firmly, push and massage his cheek pouch and he would then spit out what was in there.

I don't think its good to try to make you hamster drink like you are doing because maybe some water will get into the lungs - that would make him get very sick - may be that is why he is wheezing.

3. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    He was doing the wheezing before I ever made him drink water.
    Its not the cheeks are full, I have already tried that. Its a abscess, not food. I don't think there's any near me... all of them charge like 60 bucks to even look at hamsters.

4. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    If it is an abcess then your hamster must be in a lot of pain, you must find a way of either getting him treated or having him PTS, sorry to be blunt but he must be suffering [​IMG]

5. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Thanks for your guys advice, but it's too late. He passed away last night. :( Thanks again.

6. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    Awww... [​IMG] I'm so sorry! He was such a cute little guy.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by