Hamster wheels.. GAH!!! Any ideas?

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Ok a rant...

GAH! I hate "hamster wheels". I've had lots of hamsters and like you can't find the good ol metal ones that would hold up for years on end. It's like all flimsy plastic junk or those darned mesh wire ones that get bent!!!

AND! They sell wheels as "hamster wheels" that are 6-7 inches in diameter and I know the hamsters will get too big for that! A RAT wheel sized one is best. At least 8 inches in diameter. 10 even better. Poor guys are bent up in the back trying to run on those things. Does anyone know of a good place online to buy a hamster... er.. rat wheel? I keep finding plastic or mesh ones.

This is the type I've been looking for. I remember getting mine years back, at least a decade ago and they are still going strong. They weren't that expensive if I remember right too.

hamster_wheel.jpg

Thanks.

I came across those but wasn't too fond of the foundation they are setting on. I really like the A frame design or at minimum the L frame on the older wheels. I find that they have even been able to knock those types over, I can imagine them knocking the wodent wheel over and getting stuck in it.

I wouldnt use wire, its to likely their feet/legs will get cought and brake.

I think Katelyn has a bunch of wheels from when she raised rats, I am going over tomarrow to vistit I will see then.

LOL I came on here to post for help, but I think I am addicted and will have to make my own name.

Haha, that's funny. Make an account. It's addicting.

I've used wire wheels all my life for the dozens of hammy's I've raised and never had a problem with them so I'd like to stick with the wire ones. I just can't seem to find a quality one anymore!!!

I had a plastic one and it was the only one I had a problem with. One hammy some how got their foot stuck in a vent hole!!!
th.gif
And then, when the hammy got older, the plastic thing in the center some how collected up huge fur balls from the hammy's back. I got rid of the thing and replaced it with a wire one.

Too bad you are not closer, I have one that's not in use. If you can't find one, I can send it to you. Let me know. But, don't you hate how everything these days is made of cheap plastic? No quality at all. Good Luck!!

Yes!!! Wodent Wheels!!! I had one when I had my hamster years ago, and they are WONDERFUL. No squeaking, no places to get body parts stuck, and they completely disassemble for cleaning.

Jess

Back
Top Bottom