Hamsters anyone? (pix added on post 4)

MomtoSyd&Emma

Songster
10 Years
Jul 13, 2009
Southern VA
A friend gave my daughter a Syrian hamster w/ 2 cages and supplies for her birthday, well I didnt know that hamsters and vampires cross bred but we have an offspring of it so I KNOW they do lol

I was on craigslist and found an ad that said free hamsters, I emailed her and she had 5, 2 are the dwarf type (I didnt want that kind) and 3 are Syrians, all of them are males (my preference) and VERY friendly, the 2 we chose live together (father and son) and have for about a year now!

Now I grew up being told NEVER to house hamsters together of the same sex as certain death will follow, well these 2 males groom each other, run on the wheel together etc....

But I am still looking for a 3rd cage for one of them to go into! And I would love to pawn the vampire spawn off on some poor soul but DH wont do it lol He said keep her and he will just get her out for us (sheww) lol

I will post photos of them later on when we dont have company (my 6 yr old nephew is over playing so the hamsters are safely locked in their cages) lol

Anyway I would love to see photos, hear stories etc...

Last edited:
I'll never forget my first hamster.

Her name was Sassy. I was probably 6 years old when I got her from a pet store. She was the most gentle, loving, sweet little hamster I ever had. She only ever bit me once; when I woke her up and pulled her out of her tube at the same time.

What I wouldn't have gave to have had her longer. Sadly, she was an escape artist and found her fate in the jaws of our now deceased manx.

I had dwaf ones before and they were the meanest darn things ever, they hit the road as soon as someone else would take em. Ive been wanting to get the panda ones, but I dont want to pay alot for them. IM raiseing mice now, got anywhere from 30 to 100 at any given time. I have my pets and I have the other ones that are used for other means. I used to keep them all together, but I got smart and put all boys in a tank and all girls in a tank. I now breed certain ones to get certain colors and so on. I dont put up with any that bite, they are frist to go for the other means of use that I have for them.

Here are photos
Please remember my 9 and 5 yr old daughters named them and not I lol

this is SnowBall
1-11034.jpg

Cream Puff
1-11037.jpg

and lastly Cupcake (aka the blood sucking Vampire beast)
1-11040.jpg

But cupcake looks so sweet and innocent in that picture . . .
I had a dwarf hamster too and it was mean. I've also had mice, a chinchilla, teddy bear hamsters, a hedgehog, and my favorite, believe it or not, was my orange and white rat. She was so much fun.

Quote:
let me tell you looks are deceiving lol

And I do believe you about the rat! I LOVE them, and one of these days I will have me a big ole neutered squishy male!

I've had a few hamsters over the years, and just got one again last week. Her name is Delilah (so I can walk in my room and say "hey there, Delilah" I'm a dork), and she's not the friendliest hamster I've owned, but she's not too bad... picking her up is hard, but once i have her out of the cage, she's easy to handle. I'm not handling her much right now because she came from a mixed group, and is kind of on the hefty side, so *fingers crossed* for babies (and I did not tell my mom that little bit of info- it will be an "oops, i didn't know!" moment if it happens).

My first hamster I got when I was 18, and he was already a few years old when I got him, so he died of old age after about a month, but he was the sweetest, best hamster ever. He loved to run around in his little hamster ball and chase the cats, and he was just awesome. His name was Rex (if anyone reads the Stephanie Plum series, you'll get that).

Then I adopted two female dwarf hamsters, Miley and Lily (because, once again, I'm a dork) that were part of a litter dropped off at petco one day while i was working there (as a contractor from another company). There were two girls and four boys in the litter, so i took the girls home so nobody else would take them home and have surprise babies and not know what to do with them. They had no babies, so I rehomed them after a few weeks. One was nice, one was mean.

And then there was another syrian hamster dropped off at another petco i brought home, and she was the meanest thing i'd ever seen! I worked with her a bit, got her a little bit more friendly, and found her a new home. My mom hates rodents, and while I've gotten her to actually like rats (though she won't admit it), she doesn't really like me having hamsters, so most of the time if I bring them home as rescues, the plan is to adopt them out.

Back
Top Bottom