Hand Embroidery... Tell me all about it!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by SterlingAcres, Dec 7, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'll be starting my crafting next week for holiday gifts. I'd like to embroider a few items to give this year, but I've never done it before.

What will I need? Patience I have. Equipment, not so much. Tell me all about it! Please and thank you.

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hey Shellie,

Here is a link to a site that has tons of little video clips showing how to do all kinds of embroidery stitches: http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/video-library-of-hand-embroidery.html

What are you thinking of embroidering?

There is not much equipment to buy.
    You will need embroidery floss (thread), embroidery needles (sharp with a slightly larger eye), an embroidery hoop (size according to work), fabric item to be embroidered(depends on project), and a design (sketch, trace, or iron-on transfers).
    If you have a packet of assorted needles, there may be an embroidery needle in the packet.

Basic stitches that you should learn are the satin stitch for filling in, the outline stitch for lines, the daisy stitch for flowers, and the french knot for details.

Hope that helps a little.
    Chel

3. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Shellie, you might want to look into redwork embroidery, sometimes called outline stitch embroidery. I've been doing this for the past year or so and really enjoy it. I think it is one of the simplest styles of handwork that there is.

All you need is a small embroidery hoop, embroidery needles, a small pair of scissors, embroidery floss or 12 wt. thread on a spool (Sulky brand is good), and a pattern. I've made about 6 kitchen towels for gifts in the past month, just sewing at night while I watch TV.

There are lots of internet sites for free patterns; here is a good link to one:

http://www.patternbee.com/

You can do a Google search on redwork and find many patterns. Here is a pic of the embroidery I did on the kitchen dish towels:

[​IMG]

4. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    peepless, thanks that is a great site.............I love hand work! glad I found this thread![​IMG]

5. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I embroidered our nieces favorite toddler show characters onto some pillowcases to match her bedroom. I used a split stitch for all the outlining to give it some texture. I used a seed stitch to fill in the beaks of the 'Quack' and 'Peep'.

I had a lot of fun making it. I drew it all myself with a fabric pencil and stitched over it. I'm sure I'll attempt it again [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Nice job, Shellie, I like that it is personalized.

7. peeplessinNC

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    So cute, Shellie! You did a great job - very original too![​IMG]

8. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Thanks guys [​IMG] I'm just thinking of all the neat things I can draw and stitch now.

I love those butterflies btw peepless. They're too cute!

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG]

I like doing redwork, this is one I'm working on now during the winter.

[​IMG]

This is one a neighbor lady did for me in exchange for fresh eggs, I think I got the better end of the deal [​IMG]

10. peeplessinNC

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Very pretty, tuffoldhen! I'd love to find someone who would trade kitchen towels or homemade bread for fresh eggs.

Teresa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by