Hand fed chickens

Lifestudent

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012

When we had parakeets they would never eat from my hand. Our hens insist that I hand feed them a snack every day. This beauty will even jump up and grab my hand if she thinks I have some bird seed and am slow getting my hand down to her.

Just before I got my cell phone out to take this picture our rooster was also eating from my hand.

We have 6 hens and 1 rooster that were all hatched this past spring. My wife has already been talking about buying more baby chicks when the local farm store starts selling them around March. It's been a fun hobby Savannah Soliz, with the added benefit of the best eggs we could ever eat. (Don't tell the food police, but I've also been making egg nogs with raw eggs, and my wife likes to poke a hole in the shell and eat them raw.)

They are smart too. My girls can see from across the yard if I'm making a fist. If I go out with treats, I have them in my fist. And they KNOW I have food and come a running. If I have open hands, they won't even look at me.

And I have one who will only eat from my hands. If I put it on the ground, she just looks up at me as though it's now ruined and I must go get more for her immediately!

They are smart too. My girls can see from across the yard if I'm making a fist. If I go out with treats, I have them in my fist. And they KNOW I have food and come a running. If I have open hands, they won't even look at me.

And I have one who will only eat from my hands. If I put it on the ground, she just looks up at me as though it's now ruined and I must go get more for her immediately!
Now that's funny.
lau.gif

My house Silkie chicken Coco "freeranges " the house in her diaper. No matter where she is in the house....if that microwave or oven beeps.....she's right there pecking you on the back of your leg....little piggy. If I'm on the couch snacking. ...she jumps up and begs.... Sometimes she doesn't ask at all....hehe

When we had parakeets they would never eat from my hand. Our hens insist that I hand feed them a snack every day. This beauty will even jump up and grab my hand if she thinks I have some bird seed and am slow getting my hand down to her.

Just before I got my cell phone out to take this picture our rooster was also eating from my hand.
Mine are exactly the same lol

Back
Top Bottom