Hand fed chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Lifestudent, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Lifestudent

Lifestudent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    [​IMG]
    When we had parakeets they would never eat from my hand. Our hens insist that I hand feed them a snack every day. This beauty will even jump up and grab my hand if she thinks I have some bird seed and am slow getting my hand down to her.

Just before I got my cell phone out to take this picture our rooster was also eating from my hand.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep!
    Chickens are pure gluttons!
    They absolutely LOVE to get treats!!

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I had a chicken who would roll my hand over with her beak to see if I had food.

Happy flock you have there :)

4. Savannah Soliz

Savannah Soliz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    South Mississippi
    That's so cute! I'm waiting to start my own chicken adventures...

5. Lifestudent

Mar 23, 2012
    We have 6 hens and 1 rooster that were all hatched this past spring. My wife has already been talking about buying more baby chicks when the local farm store starts selling them around March. It's been a fun hobby Savannah Soliz, with the added benefit of the best eggs we could ever eat. (Don't tell the food police, but I've also been making egg nogs with raw eggs, and my wife likes to poke a hole in the shell and eat them raw.)

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    They are smart too. My girls can see from across the yard if I'm making a fist. If I go out with treats, I have them in my fist. And they KNOW I have food and come a running. If I have open hands, they won't even look at me.

And I have one who will only eat from my hands. If I put it on the ground, she just looks up at me as though it's now ruined and I must go get more for her immediately!

7. Lifestudent

Mar 23, 2012
    Now that's funny.[​IMG]

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My house Silkie chicken Coco "freeranges " the house in her diaper. No matter where she is in the house....if that microwave or oven beeps.....she's right there pecking you on the back of your leg....little piggy. If I'm on the couch snacking. ...she jumps up and begs.... Sometimes she doesn't ask at all....hehe

1 person likes this.
  9. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Mine are exactly the same lol

10. Savannah Soliz

Savannah Soliz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    South Mississippi
    Can't wait to get my chicks!!! Hope mine will be eating out of my hand also! Have decided to try and raise some baby chicks... May be asking everyone for advice? Have a great day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by